Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate from Clean Living Magazine

Still looking for ways to satisfy my chocolate cravings but in a low fat, healthier way, I found this recipe for a low-fat, non-dairy Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate in the Jan/Feb issue of Clean Eating magazine and had all the ingredients on hand to try it on one of our cooler, windier evenings this week.  

Clean Eating says: "Try whipping up this low-fat, non-dairy hot chocolate when you're in the mood for something rich and chocolaty...without all the calories. Sip it by a warm fire or pour yourself a mug after dinner for a light, but comforting, liquid dessert."


Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate
Clean Eating Magazine, Jan/Feb 2009
(Serves 1)

1 mint green tea bag (decaf or regular)
1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp light or amber organic agave nectar
Sprigs of mint, for garnish (optional)

Place tea bag in a cup. Pour water over it to make tea essence, letting steep for about 2 minutes.  Squeeze tea bag and remove from cup.  Meanwhile, heat almond milk over medium heat in a small saucepan until very hot, but not boiling. Add to the tea essence, then stir in cocoa powder and agave nectar.  Mix with a spoon until all the cocoa powder has dissolved. Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired.

Nutrients per cup:  Calories: 98, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 19.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 16g, Protein 1.5g, Sodium 136mg, Cholesterol: 0mg.

Recipe Note: "For a nice variation, use an almond flavored tea in lieu of the mint green tea to make Chocolate-Almond Hot Cocoa."  


Notes/Results:  Very good! It hit the spot and was a pretty guiltless after dinner treat. I did add a bit more cocoa powder to mine and a little less agave for more of a dense chocolate taste. I happened to have almond milk on hand as I like it in my smoothies, but you could also use rice or soy milk too and a different sweetener if you don't have agave. Served in one of my favorite Japanese tea cups (more special than a mug!), this was a comforting, chocolaty drink, with a refreshing taste of mint and it had more richness and flavor than I thought it might. With their Lemon-Artichoke Chicken and Chocolate Cookies already being "keeper" recipes, Clean Living is now three for three for me this month. 

10 comments:

  1. Almond milk and agave nectar on hand! You are a gourmet foodie for sure!
    Looks very soothing - I do love mint tea and get hot chocolate cravings when I am... shovelling!
    (right now the wind is throwing the snow back at me when I try to fling it on the pile now almost as tall as me...)
    Sounds like a winner indeed, and I love the cup! (must get me some cool Asian mugs..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tea cup IS more special than a mug! The chocolate looks so comforting and yummy.

    Your tuna burger looks SO delicious. I'm jealous of your fresh local ingredients. The only local food I can find now is snow to boil for tea. JK.

    We haven't eaten nearly as well as you this week - or as healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, as a chocoholic, I must say this looks and sounds very tempting. Quite appropriate for me right now since I'm determined to loose a couple of pounds. I've never used agave nectar. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh something to use agave, though I don't have almond milk, I wonder if soy or skim milk can be substituted?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really tasty and in a beautiful cup, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I was at Down to Earth today and should have grabbed me some agave nectar.

    Cheers to you! Aren't you glad it's not raining for a weekend? :)

    Tram (nutritiontokitchen)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive treat! Something nice for when it cools down - and I have a soup for you this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natashya--after all that shoveling you need two cups!

    Laurie--i don't know...your mini Reuben Skiders looked really good to me!

    Teresa--Agave is a great natural sweentener, I hope you like it.

    Kat--I made it again with some soy milk and it worked great that way too.

    Abigail--Thanks!

    Tram--yes! a nice, sunny weekend has been long overdue!

    Suzie--yeah! I'll add you to the round up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a genius idea!! A mint teabag!! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just thinking of making mint cocoa tonight with some cocoa, and just happened to stumble on your blog. I even use almond milk too. Funny coincidence!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)