Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dark Chocolate Pudding

Just because I am trying to cook and eat healthier lately doesn't mean I don't still want my chocolate. This quick, simple and low-calorie chocolate pudding recipe in Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites caught my eye as it looked like the perfect snack or dessert.


Moosewood says:  "Most of the fat has been removed, but everything else you want in a chocolate pudding is still here.  It's thick, creamy, and satisfying--a comfort food."

Dark Chocolate Pudding
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites
Serves 4

3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups skim milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a saucepan, thoroughly combine the cornstarch, sugar and cocoa.  Add the milk and stir until very smooth. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding comes to a boil. Then lower the heat and gently simmer, stirring continuously, for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, pour the hot pudding into a decorative serving bowl or individual custard cups, and serve warm or chill for about 2 hours, until cold and set.

Per 4.5 oz serving: 109 cal, 4.4g protein, .8g fat, 21.8g carbs, 59mg sodium


Notes/Results:  This is an easy recipe with just a bit of stirring required. It is chocolaty and smooth and tastes great.  It isn't quite as creamy as a pudding with egg and heavy cream but the trade-off in lower calories is worth it. (Only 109 calories for 4.5 oz). I served the pudding with some thawed frozen berries on top which was a nice compliment to the dark chocolate. I would make it again.



Are you a Tyler Florence fan(atic)?  If so come join us for Tyler Florence Fridays where YOU get to pick the recipe you make each week.  Get the details at the TFF site here.

7 comments:

  1. yummy, I wouldn't give up dark chocolate for anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this all the time and I use it as a filling in a lot of my chocolate sponge cakes and other desserts. It really is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make this -- it sounds like a wonderful treat for those of us trying to shed the November/December pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking pudding. Although for me, anything chocolate is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that pudding borders on health food, make mine a double!
    I really need to get this book..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat--me neither! ;-)

    Ivy--ooh, i bet it is great as a filling!

    Cathy-- it is good flavor and comfort food for minimum calories!

    Megan--if I splurge, it is on chocolate!

    Natashya--I think it may just be my favorite Moosewood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! A great way to get your chocolate fix.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)