Friday, June 15, 2018

Anthony Bourdain's Spaghetti with Garlic, Anchovies, and Parsley {#ForAFriend #ForAnthonyBourdain}

It's hard to believe that it's just been a week since the news that Anthony Bourdain died awoke me. I still am so sad every time I think about him. Last week, I dedicated my Friday dinner recipe to him, and this week I am doing it again as part of a tribute at I Heart Cooking Clubs. We are currently cooking along with Chef Eric Ripert, one of Bourdain's best friends and making any recipe we want from any chef and #forafriend. 


I was at the library picking up a hold last weekend and I grabbed Appetites: A Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain. I had checked it out when it came out in 2016, choosing not to buy it because Bourdain is the epitome of a carnivore, and I am not. ;-) It's a very entertaining cookbook (be forewarned there is much cursing of course) and made me laugh and tear up in turns. I knew that there were some fish and veggie dishes in it and I quickly found a simple pantry pasta recipe to make. (I think was pulled to the pasta chapter by the picture of Chef Ripert.)


Bourdain said, "This is a super easy pasta that, with a well-stocked pantry and fridge, you should be able to start and finish inside of fifteen minutes."  (Since it is hazy, humid, and hot for Hawaii today--fifteen minutes or less is about the maximum time I wanted to spend in the kitchen.)


Deb says--OK, don't be afraid of the anchovies here--they melt into the sauce, don't taste at all fishy, and add a delicious umami to the dish.


Spaghetti with Garlic, Anchovies, and Parsley
From Appetites by Anthony Bourdain 
(Serves 4 to 6)

1/2 cup best-quality, extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
8 oil-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained, and patted dry (I just used my entire tin)
1 lb dry spaghetti
1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
salt to taste (I added freshly ground black pepper)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more to taste (I used Pecorina-Romano)

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, bring salted water to a boil.

In a medium-large sauce pan, warm the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, pepper flakes, and anchovies. Make sure to watch they are well distributed so that everything is in the oil, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the garlic is fragrant and the anchovies are melting into the oil. Monitor the heat carefully, you don't want burned or even browned garlic here. 

Once the water is boiling, add the spaghetti and cook according to the package directions until just al dente. Just before taking the pasta from the water, add the parsley to the saute pan and toss gently. Remove the pasta from the water with tongs and add it directly to the pan--the water that clings to it will help form the sauce. Toss the pasta with the pan ingredients, increasing the heat to medium. Add a small splash each of oil and pasta water to keep everything slick. Taste a strand of pasta and season with salt if necessary.

Transfer pasta to individual serving bowls and top each with the grated cheese or serve it alongside.


Notes/Results: Really easy, really quick, really satisfying and really delicious. Of course even fifteen minutes in the hot kitchen had me sweating until my hair was damp, compounded by picture-taking, so I thankfully plopped myself directly in front of my fan and pretty much inhaled my bowl (probably two servings-worth if I am honest) and loved every bite--toasting Chefs Anthony and Eric with a glass of red wine. Use good-quality ingredients and your stomach and soul will be happy with this one--I'll definitely make it again.


You can join in with I Heart Cooking Clubs making a dish on your blog or posting a pic on social media. You can find the details here: For a Friend {For Anthony Bourdain}.
 
I'm also sharing this post with the Weekend Cooking event at Beth Fish Reads, a weekly event that is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share. For more information, see the welcome post.

 

9 comments:

  1. I have this cookbook and I remember laughing (as I usually do when I read Bourdain's works) that there was so much cursing in this "family cookbook." Still trying to smile but there's too much melancholia in the remembrances now. Not an anchovy fan but want to try this nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    It is so sad, but you have certainly have made a nice tribute to him. This spaghetti dish looks amazing with the anchovies which my husband loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a sauce we make called whore's spaghetti. And I'm still so sad about Bourdain. I love his work and he will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of those two friends! And the recipe sounds a lot like Pasta Puttanesca, which I love. Will have to get that cookbook now - in his memory of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garlic, anchovy, and parsley in pasta has echoes of Sicilian cuisine. Really nice-sounding combination.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean - I keep forgetting and then something catches my eye and I remember that he's gone from the world. There are very few celebrities that get me that way! I've got his macaroni cheese on the agenda for tomorrow. 4 kinds of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make a version of this that I found in The Sopranos cookbook a while ago. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inhaled sounds like a good recommendation for a dish. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Deb, loved reading this post. That picture of Ripert cramming pasta into his mouth is EVERYTHING! I just love it. As usual, you did a great job of tying Ripert and Bourdain, as well as their friendship into the post.I must confess that when I was done making the burgers, and taking pics, I was very short on words. Wish I could've found the right words.

    Pasta looks delicious, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)