Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blog Party# 42--Tiki, Two: (Turkey) Bacon-Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms & Pineapple-Mango Paradise


I think in my mind I am running a week behind. Last night I suddenly thought "Blog Party!" and realized I am supposed to have my entry in by Friday for Blog Party #42--Tiki, Two.  


With Barefoot Bloggers scheduled to post tomorrow and Tyler Florence Fridays (on Friday of course!), that left me today to make my pupu and drink and get it posted by the deadline. Not one to turn down a challenge and not wanting to miss my favorite monthly virtual gathering hosted by my friend Stephanie at Dispensing Happiness, I needed a fast, somewhat healthy (got to keep those goals) and most importantly a "tiki-fabulous" offering. A couple of months ago I had some bacon-wrapped enoki mushrooms at a Japanese restaurant and have been thinking about them ever since. Since rumaki, (bacon-wrapped chicken livers and water chestnuts) is a popular retro tiki pupu, it seemed like the perfect "new wave rumaki" to bring to the bash.


Bacon isn't exactly on my health plan, so I thought I would try my new favorite, nitrate-free turkey bacon, adding some more flavor with a basting sauce of a little low-sodium soy sauce and brown sugar.  To drink, Pineapple-Mango Paradise, my concoction of mango and pineapple juice, made bubbly by club soda, and adding a bit of rum for my friends who want to drink, but perfectly delicious for those who are not imbibing. 


Turkey-Bacon Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms
(Makes 12)

1 package enoki mushrooms
6 pieces turkey bacon
black pepper
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 400.  Heat soy sauce and brown sugar over low heat, stirring until combined, turn off heat and set aside. Trim enoki mushrooms and divide them evenly into 12 "bundles". Cut bacon crosswise into 12 pieces. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil,  Set the mushrooms on a bacon slices and season lightly with pepper. Roll up into a tight cylinder, secure with a toothpick and place on baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mushrooms and bacon. (Bundles should not be touching on sheet). Baste each bundle lightly with the soy sauce mixture and bake them 10-15 minutes, basting again halfway through, until the bacon is brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.


Pineapple-Mango Paradise

1/3 bottled mango juice
1/3 bottled or canned pineapple juice
1/3 club soda
pineapple chunks
*rum optional

Combine all ingredients and serve over ice with an umbrella or decorative stir stick.


Notes/Results: Yum! These are quick, easy and delicious and not that bad on the arteries and waistline either. With a little of the sweet-savory basting sauce, I didn't miss the real full-fat bacon at all. This is a keeper recipe for sure!  The drink is cool, fruity and refreshing either with or without the rum.


Just one of the bonuses about living in Hawaii is being able to throw together a quick Tiki Party.  A Hawaiian print sarong, my tiki mug and swizzle sticks, a basket and a couple of leaves from my backyard and of course a vintage "To You Sweetheart, Aloha, Andy Williams" album for atmosphere.  Add a little of the ultimate Tiki party band, Don Tiki playing on my IPOD and we are ready to party!

So glad I didn't miss this one!  Check out Stephanie's Blog Party Round-up here on Sunday to see what other tiki-terrific pupus and drinks are served.

Aloha!

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, looks yummy AND fun! Wish I could come for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and I love how you have all those vintage things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun party!! I could sure go for a Pineapple-Mango Paradise right now, that looks so refreshing. Love your swizzle sticks, and great to know you have the party tunes all ready to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you can throw an instant Tiki party at a moment's notice!
    Bacon wrapped mushrooms sound divine, as do the fruity cocktails... I gotta get me to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I wish I had known, I've been wanting to make pupus ever since I got back from Hawaii a few weeks ago!

    I've made another soup for Souper Sunday! I've linked to Kahakai Kitchen. Did you have a specific Souper Sunday link that you would like me to link to?

    http://joiedevivreanamateurgourmetsguide.blogspot.com/2009/01/tuscan-style-chickpea-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous!! I'm surrounded by snow and cold. This looks fabulous-the food and the drink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abigail--it's virtual so you should "come" to one sometime!

    Kat--I love vintage Hawaii stuff--it's so much fun!

    Andrea--thanks! I have way to many swizzle sticks so it is nice to use them once in awhile.

    Natashya--your guest room is waiting!

    Joie de vivre--glad you are coming to S!. You can link to the SS guidelines. If you click on the SS logo on my page it takes you there.

    Reeni--turn up the heat and put on some tiki music and you can feel like you are here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)