Saturday, January 10, 2009

Indian Potato Pancakes for Weekend Cookbook Challenge #36: 5 Ingredients or Less

This is a quick, easy recipe for Indian Potato Pancakes from Moosewood Restaurants Low-Fat Favorites, a current favorite in my cookbook line-up. Made in a non-stick pan, they are low in fat and calories and make a great little appetizer or accompaniment. 

This simple recipe has just five ingredients so I am sending it along to Sara at i like to cook for her Weekend Cookbook Challenge #36: 5 Ingredients or LessIf you want to participate and have a cookbook, magazine or Internet recipe using 5 ingredients or less (the 5 ingredients don't have to include water, salt or pepper), you have until January 30th to get your dish in to Sara. Details are on her site and at the Weekend Cookbook Challenge site (here).


Indian Potato Pancakes
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites
Makes eight 3-inch pancakes 

1 1/2 cups grated white potatoes
1 1/2 tsp garam masala or curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1 egg white lightly beaten

Combine the potatoes, garam masala or curry, salt, scallions, and egg white. Warm a large non-stick skillet.  Drop the potato batter by a scant 1/4-cup measure onto the skillet and gently flatten into a circle with a spatula.  Make as many pancakes as will fit in your skillet, but leave enough room to flip them.  (Moosewood Note: to save time, you may want to cook all of the pancakes simultaneously in two large skillets).  


Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until browned.  Flip the pancakes over, cover, and cook for 3 minutes on the second side. Then uncover and cook until browned, about 3 minutes.  

Variation:  Replace the white potatoes with sweet potatoes and use 2 egg whites.


Per 1.80-oz serving: 42 calories, 1.4g protein, .1g fat, 9.1g carbohydrates, 161mg sodium, 1.0g total dietary fiber.  

Notes/Results: I made a half batch (yielding 4 small pancakes) and used my favorite curry blend, which gave them a nice spice. They go together quickly and taste great. One tip is to make sure you pat/squeeze your grated potato to remove most of the liquid before mixing in the rest of the ingredients. I did end up using just a bit of olive oil flavored PAM as I don't really trust my non-stick pan. I served the potato pancakes along with some leftover homemade dolmades with yogurt sauce, and a simple salad with arugula, local tomatoes, avocado from my CSA box and drizzled with this tahini sauce. A delicious, healthy and satisfying vegetarian dinner. (Using up those leftovers!)  This is a keeper recipe for sure.


"Souper Sunday" is tomorrow so if you made or are making a great soup, stew, chili, chowder, etc. this week, send me a comment or email and I'll add you to this Sunday's round up. Stop by tomorrow to check out the unveiling of the swanky new Souper Sunday logo!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful plating. These are so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb:

    I finally made soup for Souper Sunday and just blogged about it, so count me in for tomorrow's feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the colors on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, do those ever look great! I've got all those ingredients in my kitchen, and since it has the nutritional info I can give it a try! Thanks for taking part again, always so glad to see you at WCC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty and healthy too, I love it. I am definitely putting this book on my wishlist.
    I know Sara! She has a great site.
    Boy Deb, you sure love Canadians!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potato pancakes and the spices in these are wonderful.

    Your salad is gorgeous too.

    I'm finally recovering from the holidays and the worse flu ever and am so happy to be able to participate in Souper Sunday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious, Debi. I posted the Lemon Artichoke Chicken today and mentioned your blog as the source. I made soup last night, but maybe I'll save it for next Sunday for your round up (is it cheating to hold back, lol?).

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I am definitely making the potato pancakes for lunch
    2) I made Ratatouille, the stew, not the movie for lunch yesterday and we are having leftovers today...does that count? I blogged it last night.

    Love your blog!
    Regards, Laur

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay....I linked my chowder from earlier in the week..
    Thanks for the reminder.
    btw...love the potato pancakes.
    http://ahhhsomesoups.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Potato pancakes kicked up a notch! YUM! I love how you served them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just blew my family away with these. I made them for lunch to round out our 'leftover buffet' they were loved by everyone and very easy to make. Thanks, Laur

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look amazing, what I think of as beautiful food. They sound delicious, and that sweet potato variation has piqued my interest. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joie de vivre--thanks! They were colorful and tasty too.

    Rachel--yea! So happy you joined!

    Kat--thanks!

    Sara--I love the WCC and promise not to miss so many this year!

    Natashya--yep, I loves me some Canadians! ;-)

    Laurie--thanks and glad you are feeling better!

    Arlene--so glad you liked the chicken! I look forward to seeing you at Souper Sundays!

    Laur-so glad you and your family liked them! Happy to have you at Souper Sunday!

    Reeni--thanks!

    Andrea--thanks! The sweet potato ones sounded interesting to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found you via Pinterest. This has become a weekly meal in our house. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)