Saturday, January 24, 2009

Curried Salmon Cakes--Recipe "Repurpose"

I have a friend who refuses to eat leftovers, whether at home or a restaurant, once is enough for her. I, on the other hand, love leftovers (sometimes even more than the actual meal), and usually make extra in order to have them. I especially love to find ways to "repurpose" them into something different. Case in point, I made an extra couple of Peppered Salmon Fillets for my Tyler Florence Friday's recipe pick this week and decided to use one fillet to make some small salmon cakes. Since they were already crusted with crushed peppercorns and coriander seeds, Indian spices seemed like the way to go and I added a little cumin and curry powder and a touch of dill, mint and cilantro. 


Curried Salmon Cakes
(1 fillet makes about 3 small cakes)

1 (5-6 oz) peppered salmon fillet 
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp dill, chopped
1/2 tsp mint, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder


Flake the salmon with a fork. Mix with panko, egg, lemon juice, herbs and spices. Make sure mixture is moist but not wet. Form into small patties. Heat a pan over medium-high heat, spray with olive oil cooking spray and add patties, searing on each side about 3 minutes, until lightly browned and warmed through. 

Notes: I find making smaller, 2 1/2" to 3" patties keeps the salmon cakes together better, making them easier to cook. (If you don't have leftover pepper crusted salmon fillets, you could easily use canned salmon and add some crushed black pepper and a little crushed coriander seeds or coriander powder for a similar taste).


Results: Nicely spicy, the salmon cakes were delicious with the chickpea dressing and the tangy, cooling touch of yogurt. I put them on a salad plate, over a bed of spinach and chickpea vinaigrette, threw on some little fresh tomatoes and topped it all with non-fat Greek yogurt. A quick, delicious and still healthy dinner using Tyler's great combo of ingredients.   

9 comments:

  1. I love salmon cakes! A great reason to have extra salmon around. And who doesn't eat leftovers? That is half of what we eat here - also great for lunches!
    Great job re-purposing your dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always use our leftovers. They usually taste better after sitting over night. The flavors develop further or something!? I bet these were amazing paired with that chickpea sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael Ray actually did a segment on her talk show on Friday about using up leftovers in new and interesting ways. I, personally, love eating leftovers...which is good since cooking for one would be nearly impossible (not to mention expensive) if I had to cook something new every day. These look scrumptious though...salmon is my favorite fish so the more days I get to have it the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I myself don't like leftovers either, but this sounds like a great way to use them if I had some :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb - I love leftovers! In fact I feel a little snarky if I have made something great and it all disappears. Plus environmentally it is just wrong to throw good food away. Incidentally, I have made a nice cold bowl of soup for you this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice use of leftovers! Everything looks delicious even though I'm not a salmon person, anything cooked up into little cakes looks yummy to me :) I just posted a soup for your Souper Sunday event, I actually made it last weekend but now and wanting to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But.. so many things are much better as leftovers. Some Indian stews are definitely better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love salmon cakes! Adding curry is a new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered that sesame-lime mayonnaise goes great with salmon cakes , also plenty of black pepper

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)