Sunday, October 6, 2019

Creamy Vegan Potato-Leek Soup for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

Sometimes my soups are inspired by a certain chef or cookbook or cooking club theme or maybe what I have on hand to use up. This week it was all about what I was craving--creamy potato and leek soup.


I decided to make it vegan and I also wanted to use up some dehydrated potato flakes I had from another recipe. I thought it would make it extra creamy and with good potato flavor. I was right. ;-)


Creamy Vegan Potato-Leek Soup
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 6)

1 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 medium leeks, white and light green parts, halved & Sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 Tbsp celery seed
2 tsp roasted garlic powder
2 bay leaves
3 Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
5 cups veggie broth (I used non-chicken broth paste)
1 1/2 cups dehydrated potato flakes
1 can coconut milk
sea salt and black pepper to taste
fresh chives to garnish

Melt butter and oil in a large, heavy-bottom soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and celery and saute about 10 minutes, until tender. Add celery seed, garlic powder and bay leaves and saute for another minute. Add potato cubes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes then whisk in potato flakes and coconut milk. Simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the potatoes and celery are cooked to tender and soup has thickened. 

Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Serve garnished with fresh chives. Enjoy!


Notes/Results: Ultra rich and creamy with the delicate flavor of potatoes and leeks, this is a tasty soup that is thick enough to be a chowder. I love how thick the combination of the dried potato flakes and coconut milk made it, but you could think it slightly with more broth or non-dairy milk. I ate two bowls and I am looking forward to enjoying it for lunches this week.. I would happily make it again. 


Let's look into the Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays Kitchen and see who is here.


The always amazing Simona of briciole shared a gorgeous Fruit Salad with Fresh Dates that she made for our recent Cook the Books selection The Food Explorer. She says, "...it was easy to decide to make a fruit salad (macedonia) for my breakfast (colazione) with fruit we eat because of his and his department's work and that is available now at the farmers market: Asian pear (pera asiatica), watermelon (cocomero), fig (fico), besides dates. Fairchild also tried to introduce the cashew tree, but domestic production never took hold, though consumption of cashew nuts (anacardi) did."


Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog brought Tomato Dal Soup-Americanized and said, "Wow! This easy to make plant based Indian dal (soup) has lots of flavor, protein, fiber, and valuable nutrients! Tomato  dal is traditionally made from a whitish yellow colored split pea- called toor dal. Toor dal is commonly used in Indian cooking; I find you can substitute easy to find yellow split peas instead. I eat my dal as a soup (I added more broth) but it can be eaten as a side dish over rice."


Tina of Squirrel Head Manor made a gorgeous chicken dish and a tasty Chicken Caesar Salad out of the leftovers. She said, "I sure love chicken. I could probably eat chicken as my exclusive choice of meat/poultry for the rest of my life. Not that we have it every night, mind you, but we do enjoy a good chicken meal. It's so versatile. ...here is a Caesar salad with crisp Romaine and grilled, sliced chicken breast.  That's a filling lunch and fairly healthy.  A bit of red onion and Parmesan cheese made a nice blend of flavors."


Finally, here at Kahakai Kitchen I made some yummy Sour Cream Scrambled Egg Toasts suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner. These little sandwiches used up some ingredients in my pantry--always a bonus. 

 
Thanks to Simona, Judee & Tina for joining in this week!

About Souper Sundays:

Souper Sundays (going since 2008) now has a format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches at any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...


To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:

  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

Have a happy, healthy week!
 

2 comments:

  1. Deb,
    Your soup looks very comforting and satisfying. I'm intrigued with the potato flakes - I would have never thought of that !! sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try adding coconut milk to leek soup. I have never seen potato flakes. Your soup looks so comforting! I understand eating two bowls :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)