Thursday, June 30, 2011

Grilled Asparagus with Olive Oil, Lemon and Parmesan from Jamie Oliver

Looking for a quick, easy, just-a-few-ingredients kind of dish for your grill or grill pan? Jamie Oliver's Grilled Asparagus with Olive Oil, Lemon and Parmesan is the answer. I used fresh, local Waialua asparagus and my stove top grill pan, and with a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a few shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano, the dish was on the table in minutes. Simple to make and incredibly tasty--just the way I like it.


You can find this recipe online at Jamie Oliver.com or in Jamie at Home

Jamie says, "There are many different types of asparagus available these days – thick ones, thin ones, baby, green, wild, white and even absolutely huge ones! Apart from their visual appeal, the real difference between them is their taste. They range from firm and nutty to soft and silky. Here’s one of my favourite ways of cooking asparagus to serve as a side dish or starter."


Grilled Asparagus with Olive Oil, Lemon and Parmesan
From Jamie Oliver
(Makes 4 Servings)

You will need to wash 2 big handfuls (or 800g) of whichever kind of asparagus you’re using, with their woody ends snipped off.

This is a great combination. Parmesan, olive oil and lemon are wonderful with asparagus.

Heat a large griddle pan and dry-griddle the asparagus spears on both sides until nicely marked. As soon as they're ready, put them on to four plates and dress with a good squeeze of lemon juice and three times as much olive oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, then take a block of Parmesan to the table and either grate or shave some over the asparagus wtih a speed peeler.

Notes/Results: A winner of a recipe. Grilling asparagus brings out its flavor and the other few ingredients just enhance it. Because the dish is so simple it benefits from your best ingredients. In addition to the local asparagus and Parmigiano-Reggiano, I used a crisp, light extra-virgin olive oil, some freshly ground pink Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. This makes a great starter salad, side dish or even a light lunch dish--easy enough for everyday but nice enough for company. So good! I have a feeling I will be making this dish a lot this summer. ;-)


Our theme is Fire Up the Grill! at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. You can check out how everyone got grilling with Jamie by going to the post and following the links.

Aloha,

13 comments:

  1. I think asparagus is the one veggie I've never had grilled! This dish is so simple that you know it MUST taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the height of simplicity...and perfection. I love asparagus and I can just imagine it grilled and drizzled. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. jamie oliver's recipes are to die for.....these look really nice n' it must have tasted light fresh n' heavenly....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea and presentation !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had grilled asparagus for dinner tonight. I didn't use lemon (had that in the piccata), but will add it next time. I love roasted veggies, but asparagus is a favorite. How wonderful roasted Maui onions must be, lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grilled asparagus, will have to try it with the oil, lemon and parm, it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest problem with any asparagus dish is that, once grilled or roasted or sauteed, it almost never makes it to the serving dish. I have to buy double just to have enough for my cook's perk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, simple and delicious. Perfect grill fare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne--try it--it is yummy grilled. ;-)

    girlichef--thanks! It was pretty delicious. ;-)

    Miri--Thank you! ;-)

    Priya--thanks! ;-)

    Kat--You should try it since you are here and can get some good local asparagus. ;-)

    Arlene--Yes, Maui onions are great roasted too. ;-)

    Carol--the combination is really good and makes the most of the asparagus.

    Lisa--I will admit to sampling several before they could make it to the plate! ;-)

    Natashya--thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I'll have to archive this one for our next asparagus season. I didn't think about lemon with our this year. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple, beautiful, and delicious. I've never grilled asparagus before. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only is this asparagus (one of my favorites) but with shaved parmesan on top,yum.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)