Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mojito Melon Fruit Skewers and a Cookbook Review of "On a Stick"

A friend of mine can't stand wooden skewers or chopsticks. Seriously... It is almost a phobic state. She can't bear the feel of them in her mouth or seeing anyone else at the table eat with them. (Not that I am one to talk about phobias--I am a supposed grown-up with a deathly fear of hypodermic needles and can't even stand to see them in person or on a television or a movie screen.) In any case, (if you were wondering where I was going with this), ;-) my friend may not be the best audience for "On a Stick: 80 Party-Perfect Recipes" by food blogger and photographer extraordinaire, Matt Armendariz, but nearly everyone else is.


"On a Stick" is a fun and drool-inducing book of easy recipes for a variety of foods that require no silverware because they are stuck on wood or metal skewers, cocktail picks, Popsicle sticks and even rosemary branches and sugarcane. Recipes for global foods both common (satays, kebabs, fruit skewers, ice pops) and unusual (Deep-Fried Mac 'n' Cheese, Panzanella, Pizza Skewers, Pineapple Funnels) can be found as Armendariz proclaims "Food on a stick just tastes better!"


Each of the 80 recipes, divided between sweet and savory foods, is accompanied by a gorgeous color photograph that seems to leap off the page. The book has chapters on Sticks and Skewers--to showcase how to serve your food on a stick, and Dips and Sauces--to pair with your your skewered treats. "On a Stick" is a great addition to any cookbook shelf and is perfect for those who like to entertain or anyone who just enjoys good, fun-to-eat food. It would be an excellent hostess, birthday or shower gift, especially when packaged together with a variety of different skewers.


Many recipes caught my eye to "road test" this book. I ruled out the meat and the fried foods to fit with my current eating plan. I thought something sweet would be fun and when I came across the Mojito Melon Fruit Skewer, I knew it was the recipe for me. A well-crafted mojito is my favorite cocktail, and I loved the idea of combining it with healthy honeydew melon for a delicious cocktail on a stick.


Matt says, "Fruit on a stick is fun for the grown-up set! The minty sweet taste of a mojito makes a tasty dressing for cool honeydew melon. This recipe is a favorite at summer parties."

Mojito Melon Fruit Skewers with Mojito Mix
Reprinted with Permission from "On a Stick"
(Serves 4)


8 pop sticks
1/2 honeydew melon, cut into 8 wedges

Mojito Mix:
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
juice of 3 limes
5 sprigs of mint
3/4 cup white rum

Arrange melon wedges in an 8-by-8 inch baking dish.

Make the mojito mix: Place all ingredients plus 1/2 cup water in a blender and pulse until mint is finely chopped. Pour mixture over melon wedges and refrigerate 1 hour.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pierce each melon wedge with a pop stick and arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Freeze 20 to 30 minutes. Serve cold.

Notes/Results: Genius! These potent little sticks are delicious--the tangy lime, cooling mint and kick of rum soak into the melon making it a slightly sweet and very refreshing adult treat. Placing them in the freezer for 30 minutes makes them cold and just slightly icy--adding to the enjoyment of eating them on a warm afternoon or evening. They could not be easier to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making them perfect for a party. The honeydew was excellent and I think cantaloupe or watermelon would also be wonderful. I will definitely be making plenty of these in the future.


What's your favorite food on a stick?

Obligatory Disclosure Statement: A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher, Quirk Books but I was not compensated for this review and as always my thoughts and opinions are completely my own.

10 comments:

  1. I'm reviewing this today! The mojito melon skewers are definitely high on my list of recipes to try. Especially now that I'm officially in marathon training season and a real mojito just isn't an option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great! my favorite food on a stick is a tie between a corn dog and yakitori :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking! It's really helpful for me. Thank a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all the recipe that have been shared for "on a stick", this one you have picked is one of my favorites! I think these mojito melon skewers would be perfect for so many things. Definitely going to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw Joanne's review too. You just gotta love food on a stick. It not only looks so pretty and interesting, it tastes better on a stick...unless you have a bamboo phobia ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore mojitos, especially pineapple and mango, plain are just as great, but your recipe is a given for 4th of July at my home. The photographs are stunnting and makes one (meaning me), could indulge in some right now. Love your Blog, and am very glad I became a follower.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Joni
    Desert Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corndogs, especially the ones at the Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't wait to try these! thanks for the great tip on another fun cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne--these are mojitos you can feel good about!
    ;-)

    Kat--two good choices. ;-)

    Weber Grill Recipes--thanks. ;-)

    Kim--I thought of you when making these. ;-) I knew they would be right up your alley.

    Lyndsey--So true! ;-)

    Desert Dreaming--thank you so much! ;-)

    All Things Yummy--an excellent choice! ;-)

    julee jingle--thanks! This is a fun book for sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a party! In Brazil we had restaurants that were specifically for foods on a stick - Espetinhos. Mostly meat, but there was beef, chicken, ham, sausage, cheese and even bread. I'd have to say those were my favorite foods on a stick. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)