Monday, July 6, 2009

Raspberry Tea Cakes: Little Bites of Goodness

Here's the second recipe that I cooked from the latest Vegetarian Times; Raspberry Teacakes. They are actually supposed to be Red Currant Tea Cakes but red currants are hard to find around here so I used some organic raspberries instead. The magazine says: "These little cakes are based on the French "financier", a light tea cake made with almond flour and egg whites. Red currents add some tartness to every bite. You can also top the tea cakes with black currants, blueberries, or raspberries." 


Raspberry (or Red Currant) Teacakes
Vegetarian Times, July/August 2009
(Makes 12)

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar plus more for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup applesauce
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 large egg whites
12 oz red currants, fruit pulled from stems

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Whisk together almond flour, all-purpose flour, confectioners' sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in applesauce and butter. Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer 4 to5 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Gently fold one-third of whipped egg whites into flour mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until completely combined. 

Fill each muffin cup no more than half full with batter. Top with several red currants. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until lightly  brown around edges. Cool 10 minutes before unmolding. Dust with confectioners' sugar to serve.

Per Tea Cake: 174 calories, 5g protein, 10g total fat, (2g sat. fat), 19g carbs, 8mg chol, 66mg sodium, 3g fiber, 10g sugars.


Notes/Results: A great little cake, moist, not too sweet but just sweet enough. The applesauce makes them moist and the whipped egg whites make them nice and light. I ground my own almond flour and didn't get it as smooth as store bought, but I think that added positively to the texture, giving it a nice crumb. They are perfect with a cup of tea, hot or iced. A keeper recipe, they would be fun to play around with by using different fruit on top, maybe adding some orange or lemon zest, or even lime zest and some toasted coconut.

21 comments:

  1. lovely with a cuppa like your new signature Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great! so nice and delicate! I love baking with almond flour... just wish it was cheaper!

    I like the new sig, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little cakes. It'd be nice to make these bite-sized in a mini muffin tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful little cakes! Love the signature too.
    We have red currants here in Canada, stop by for some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect size ~

    I don't think I've ever seen red currants here either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if I could grind my own almond flour. I have some lovely raspberries that I froze the other day. Maybe next week we'll try these. They look delicious. I love the signature, too. Tried to do mine a while back, but couldn't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your signature at the end! and these look perfect for tea time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet little treats. I've never had fresh currants - only dried. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tea cakes look scrumptious, light and delicious! I wonder if I can find red currants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, they are SO darling! The use of almond flour would make it so light and delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty, and they sound delicious! I love how healthy they are - sometimes I want a little something sweet with a cup of tea without blowing the fat/calorie allowance for the week. I definitely want to try these! Love your new siggy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These raspberry tea cakes looks gorgeous! I wish we have raspberries here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look fantastic.. I dont know that Ive seen almond flour round here. I will have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with you on the coconut addition and the raspberry substitution. I need to pick up a copy of Vegetarian Times, apparently. I am loving all of these recipes! I like the signature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to work with almond flour. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for the signature feedback! ;-)

    LK, Arlene, Donna--it really is so easy to grind your own almond flour with a good blender and cheaper too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute and they look especially tasty with tea or coffee. I'm having a major problem with my sweet tooth this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great...I bet coconut would be a really good addition! Luv your new signature :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the addition of the applesauce. In Australia we are very fond of a similar little cake called a friand - which reminds me that I should start saving eggwhites for another batch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wouldn't have expected the berries to keep their color after baking. Looks much better than your average financier.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)