Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Creamy, Dreamy (and Healthy!) Chicken Picatta Fettuccine


Some people want lasagna when they go to an Italian restaurant, others want spaghetti, or ravioli, for me it is Chicken Picatta. There is something about the combination of the lemon, garlic and capers that I just love, but I don't always love the butter and oil in the sauce that comes along with it. Preparing it at home, this time I thought it would be fun to make it into a pasta dish, with bite-sized pieces of well-seasoned chicken and a creamy lemony sauce but wanted it to be a healthy dish too. With a small amount of olive oil and a sauce thickened with a mixture of low-fat milk and brown rice flour, it is possible to have a creamy, flavorful, decadent tasting pasta dish without a lot of fat. Served over multi-grain fettuccine, this Creamy Dreamy (and Healthy!) Chicken Picatta Fettuccine is bright, tangy and not too heavy, making it good even in the warmer weather.


Creamy, Dreamy (and Healthy!) Chicken Picatta Fettuccine
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 4-5)

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, separated
1 medium onion, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 shallots, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp capers, drained
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1/3 cup low-fat milk
2 Tbsp brown rice flour
fresh lemon juice and zest from 2 lemons
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish and separated
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 package whole grain dried fettuccine cooked according to package instructions.

Chop chicken breast into bite size pieces. In a Ziploc bag, thoroughly combine flour, thyme, oregano, lemon pepper pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Place chicken pieces in bag with flour mixture and shake. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture and place on a plate. Put 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and heat on medium to medium high, so skillet is hot but not smoking. Add the chicken pieces and cook about 6 minutes, until lightly browned on all sides and cooked through. Transfer to a clean serving plate and cover with foil to keep the chicken warm. 

Adjust temperature to medium-low and heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Place onion in pan and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook for about 2 minutes, then add garlic, cooking for another minute, stirring constantly. Add capers, white wine and chicken broth, bringing it to a simmer and then add artichokes. In a small cup mix milk with brown rice flour, stirring until smooth. Add to pan and simmer about 2-3 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add lemon juice, zest, and 2 Tbsp of the parsley simmering another minute or two. Add chicken pieces and then season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Place cooked, whole grain fettuccine on individual plates or serving platter, top with chicken and sauce mixture and garnish with the remaining parsley and a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.


Notes/Results: Excellent! I am so happy with how this turned it out, it totally satisfies my cravings for creamy and tangy, mixed together into one. The low-fat milk with the brown rice flour makes the sauce nice and thick but still smooth and creamy, so it only tastes rich and fattening. The dried herbs seasoning the flour give the chicken lots of flavor--just make sure you don't over-cook it so it stays nice and moist. I like a lot of lemon, garlic and capers, so if you don't, you can cut those down a bit. The recipe goes together pretty quickly so if you start the pasta cooking straightaway, it is possible to have it ready in about 30 minutes or so. I am happy that I made enough for leftovers and I will be making this again. 


I am sending this dish to Presto Pasta Nights, being hosted this week by the lovely Pam at Sidewalk Shoes. Be sure to check out the round-up on her site Friday to see all the delicious pasta recipes.

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love chicken picatta. I'm going to have to try your version. I never thought of adding artichoke hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Deb! It has been too long since I have had chicken picatta of any variety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I totally want that for dinner!
    It looks so wonderful and has all my favourite flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite dishes. I love what you've done with the pasta.
    I normally serve mine with a pilaf. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. craving some pasta, kinda burgered out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Hmm. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love being here and I am happy to have found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good served over pasta! Great summery meal :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just know this has got to be so tasty. I love all the ingredients and together over pasta.. must be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE chicken picatta and always want to make it while at home because its such a classic, and then i remember that my dad doesn't like lemons. I am making this for me soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How delicious this is! Healthy and bright and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! I'm a chicken picatta fan myself and serving it over fettuccine like that can only be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful- I love chicken picatta and pasta, so what's better than combining them together! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seldom cook creamy pasta for myself. This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds and looks amazing. Thanks for sharing with PResto Pasta Nights. I'm glad to count you as a regular contributor and am always looking for your lastest and greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds and looks amazing. Thanks for sharing with PResto Pasta Nights. I'm glad to count you as a regular contributor and am always looking for your lastest and greatest.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)