Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peach Mango & Blueberry Crumbles Made A Bit Healthier--Barefoot Bloggers

Our second Barefoot Bloggers recipe is Ina's Peach and Blueberry Crumbles, selected by Aggie of Aggie's Kitchen, and of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't do something to "healthify" it. Now I really don't have anything against butter, I swear I don't, and if someone made me a piece of homemade fruit crumble or crisp, I would happily eat it without any complaints. Still, I have tried to get myself into the habit of lightening up the dishes I cook at home and making them healthier choices whenever possible. That means cutting back on the fat, sugars and salts and looking for ingredients to replace them that still give me a great tasting dessert. In this case, I removed all the butter and some of the sugar from the crumbles. In fact I removed the peaches too and replaced them with mango. Not because of the health aspects, it's just that really good peaches are not easy to find here and with mango season being upon us, great mangoes are in abundance. My changes (amounts are for a half batch) are in red below. 



You can find this recipe in the Barefoot Contessa at Home (pages 197-198)

Peach Mango and Bluberry Crumbles
Barefoot Contessa at Home, Ina Garten
(Serves 5-6) (Made 1/2 batch which made 5 small crumbles)

For the fruit
2 lbs firm, ripe peaches (6-8 peaches) (Used 1 large mango for 1/2 batch)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar (used 1/8 cup for 1/2 batch)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh blueberries (1/2 pint)

For the Crumble
1 cup all-purpose flour (used 1/2 cup white-wheat flour for 1/2 batch)
1/4 cup ground blanched almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar (omitted)
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (used 1/3 cup brown sugar for 1/2 batch)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 lb (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced (subbed 1/2 cup naturally sweetened applesauce)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until their skins peel off easily. Place them immediately in cold water. Peel the peaches, mango, slice into thick wedges, and place in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the blueberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into ramekins or custard cups.


For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it’s in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Combine the flour, ground almonds, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Work the applesauce in by rubbing it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it is in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. 


Place the ramekins on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 to 45 30-35 minutes, until the tops are browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you want to make these early, store the unbaked crumbles int he refrigerator and bake before dinner. Serves 5 to 6.


Notes/Results: Delicious! The fruit is warm and bubbling, the topping crumbly and nutty and they are perfect with a scoop of vanilla fro-yo. Because both my mango and blueberries were quite sweet, I was able to cut a good amount of the sugar down in the filling and using the applesauce in the crust allows the sugar to be cut there too. I added the ground almonds for the texture and nutty flavor, but you could leave them out if you want a lighter textured crumble. A great recipe to use up fresh, ripe fruit, I'll make it again. 


Thanks to Aggie for a great, summery pick! You can see what the other Barefoot Bloggers thought of their crumbles by going to the BB site here


14 comments:

  1. They do look yummy! And I love your ramekins, so cute!
    We do get lovely stone fruit from Niagara here, if only for a few weeks. This would be a perfect way to showcase them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I'm not a fan of mango, but have a freezer full of blueberries and will pick up some peaches and try these this weekend. I'll have to hide them--healthier or not--from Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love mango crumble in summer - I make one with mango, nectarine and raspberries, with a crumble of shredded unsweetened coconut and cashews on top, which I grill instead of bake. Next time I will try with blueberries since yours look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never realized you could sub butter for applesauce in crusts. Good to know! I love mangoes way more than peaches and even though its supposedly peach season here, they don't taste so great. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natashya--I am a fan of stone fruit it just isn't as good by the time it gets here.

    Arlene--I think Ina's original peaches would be excellent in them.

    Suzie--I love the idea of the cocnut flakes on top too. it sounds yummy.

    Joanne--Applesauce works well for crumbles or crisps, anything where you just need the dough to stick together and clump nicely and don't have to roll it into pie crust! For that kind of crust, I would stick to the butter! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, how awesome! A healthier version of crumble! I also love the individual portions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum does yours look awesome! You know I love to healthy up my recipes but I "painfully" stuck to the recipe this time since I chose it and I was cooking for others, lol! I'll take some of your suggestions for next time though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your variation-- and it suits where you live, perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love the addition of the mango! I loved this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rendering of the crisps is just terrific. I've made this in the past and love the blueberry and peach combo. It's really hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were sooooo good. I'd have never thought of making the crumble without the butter, but if you say it works, I believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aloha Deb,
    It's look yummy, i'm a fan of mango ,will try some day :)

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, how did i miss this one?! making me drool for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)