Sunday, June 27, 2021

Ina's Zucchini Vichyssoise: Hot or Cold for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

I made soup this week! Ina Garten's Zucchini Vichyssoise. After a couple of weeks of lazy, I finally decided that I better use up my wilting veggies and get a soup made. Since it is pretty warm and humid (although nothing like the temperatures my friends and family in the Pacific Northwest are in right now), this is a great soup as it can be enjoyed both hot or cold. 


I changed Ina Garten's recipe slightly--using non-chicken broth, adding a bit more cream, and using my high-speed blender instead of a food mill. Oh, and I added a little Tarragon, just because. 


Zucchini Vichyssoise 
Slightly Adapted by Ina Garten via FoodNetwork.com
(Yields 6 Servings)

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp GOOD olive oil ;-)
5 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (about 4-8 leeks)
4 cups chopped, unpeeled white boiling potatoes (I used Yukon potatoes)
3 cups chopped zucchini (about 2 zucchini
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or light vegetable broth
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
(I added 1/2 tsp dried tarragon)
2 Tbsp heavy cream
fresh chives, julienned zucchini or parsley for garnish

Heat the butter and oil in a large stockpot, add the leeks, and saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, zucchini, chicken stock, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil; then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool for a few minutes and then process through a food mill fitted with the medium disc. Add the cream and season to taste. Serve either cold or hot, garnished with chopped chives and/or zucchini.


Notes/Results: A simple and very tasty soup, the leeks are the prominent flavor here but there is nothing wrong with that. It's a silky and satisfying soup and so far, I have tasted it hot, room temp, and mostly chilled and I think I like room temp or chilled best but I'll you know tomorrow after it sits over night. I would make it again. 


I'll be linking this soup up at I Heart Cooking Clubs this coming week as it will be our June 2021 Potluck theme. 

Let see who is in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week!


Tina of Squirrel Head Manor shared a Griddled Ham & Cheese with Mustard this week, saying, "A few posts back I mentioned Doug was getting good use of the Blackstone griddle. The  breakfasts are great but so are the grilled sandwiches. The crust was toasted and delicate for this ham and cheese with mustard.  Now that we are home the griddle is set up on the porch.  Guess we will buy another one for camping and storing in the RV."



Radha of The Magical Ingredients for a Wholesome Life From the Heart of My Kitchen is here with Jowar/Sorghum Salad. She says, "This is a simple, colorful, and delicious salad made with Jowar or sorghum that satiates hunger. This salad is easy to make and I guarantee that this is going to be made often in your home. This is a perfect summer salad. Fresh veggies and peanuts give the crunch, jowar provides the carbs as well as fiber and garbanzos give a protein boost along with peanuts. The added spices give a kick to the salad."


Kim of Stirring the Pot brought Ina's Breakfast Sandwich this week, saying, "I thought this was an incredibly delicious and filling sandwich. I was trying to think about how to describe it and words like  "unctuous and top-quality and so satisfying" came to mind. It's only a few simple ingredients, but you can taste them all so well and they all play together so nicely."


Thanks everyone for hanging out with me this week! 
 
(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)