Sunday, June 2, 2019

Rick Bayless's Quick Pozole: Made Vegan with Jackfruit for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

Although I eat soup in warm weather pretty much all-year-round, summer is when I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and when I look for fast and easy recipes like this Quick Pozole from Rick Bayless. A good example of pantry and fridge cooking that is very low effort for big flavor. 


Since I don't eat meat and poultry (and wanted a featured ingredient that starts with "j"--see my I Heart Cooking Clubs mention below) I decided to replace the shredded cooked chicken in the soup with canned jackfruit, shredded and cooked with taco spices. It adds an extra step to the soup, but still, I was out of the kitchen in 20 minutes or so, with a bowl of delicious soup.


Quick Pozole
Slightly Adapted from RickBayless.com
(Serves 4)

1 (29-oz) can hominy
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium veggie broth)
8 oz red chile enchilada sauce (I used Rick's Frontera brand)
2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken (I used 1 can jackfruit)

1/2 small head green cabbage (preferably Savoy), thinly sliced (I used a cabbage salad mix)
1 tsp oregano
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges

(I added cilantro and pickled jalapeno) 

In a medium (4-quart) saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the hominy (with its canning liquid), the broth  and the enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in the shredded chicken. Simmer about 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls, garnish with cabbage, oregano, radishes and lime.


Deb's Note: I rinsed my canned jackfruit well, drained it, shredded it with my fingers and sauteed it with olive oil in taco seasoning before adding it to the soup. 


Notes/Results: Another quick and low-effort soup that has excellent flavor making it perfect for summer cooking. The jackfruit gives the texture of shredded chicken and the hominy is chewy and delicious. I added the pickled jalapenos on top--the 'tamed' ones add just enough spice and they went well with the crisp cabbage and radish slices. Very tasty and almost too easy to make. I will happily make it again. 


Linking up with I Heart Cooking Clubs where this coming week the theme is June Starts with J--recipes from our past 19 featured chefs that feature ingredients that start with J (in this case jackfruit and jalapenos).


Now let's have a look in the into the Souper Sundays kitchen.


Angela of Mean Green Chef is back with Romaine Blue Cheese Salad. She says, "Romaine Blue Cheese Wedge Salad a refreshing, easy summer dinner or side dish that comes together in a snap bring a fork and knife or chop it all up and devour in minutes! I’ve always had a love affair with the wedge salad, maybe the explosive combo of blue cheese, bacon and a rich balsamic reduction, plus the fact that it’s so fast to make. Slice off the perfect bite and savor the sharp, smoky, sweet flavors all in one distinct mouthful. Simple in execution and so complex in flavor, it’s salad Zen! "



Tina of Squirrel Head Manor shares Lemon, Oregano, Bacon, Mushroom Chicken Soup and says, "Just last Wednesday I posted about an easy chicken meal - Lemon Oregano Chicken.  With leftovers I made a lovely soup. But I am getting ahead of myself here.  This is a combo of leftovers from two very different meals that blended into a tasty soup. ... I added a bit of broth to this to thin slightly but it was treat as a thicker soup. What does Rachel Ray call this consistency? I think she says Stoup. This was definitely stoup."
 
 
Thanks Angela and Tina for joining in this week!

About Souper Sundays:

Souper Sundays (going since 2008) now has a format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches at any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...


To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

Have a happy, healthy week!
 

2 comments:

  1. Linked up. I would like to try jackfruit sometime (maybe). :) Love the spice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was completely sold once I saw hominy...I LOVE that stuff. The texture, the scent, everything. It's gotta be one of the most underused ingredients around. Also really enjoyed seeing you use the jackfruit - how fun!

    The romaine salad also looks beyond delicious! Lots of yummy dishes here!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)