It's hard to believe it, but The Princess Bride came out in 1987 and it turns 30 this year! That's 30 years of a wonderful romance-comedy-fantasy-action film that I never grow tired of, no matter how many times I watch it. (Or read the book, or read or listen to As You Wish, Carey Elwes's memoir about the making of the film...)
Is there anyone that hasn't seen it? If so, you are in for a treat. Based on the 1973 book by William Golden, the movie version starts with a grandfather (Peter Falk) reading his sick grandson (Fred Savage) a story about a farmhand turned pirate, Wesley (Cary Elwes) trying to save his love, the beautiful Buttercup (Robin Wright) from the evil Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) with help and/or hindrance from a cast of characters including a Spanish master swordsman (Mandy Pantinkin), a rhyming giant (Andre the Giant), a Sicilian crime boss (Wallace Shawn), a wizard and his wife (Billy Crystal and Carol Kane), a six-fingered count (Christopher Guest), and an impressive Clergyman (Peter Cook). There's fencing, fighting, torture, death, true love, giants, and pirates!
I know it's not a foodie movie, but sometimes I love the results even more when our Food 'n Flix group watches a non-foodie film and lets their creativity fly! I think you'll have plenty to work with like Sicilian food, or maybe a nice MLT--mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich--where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. (They’re so perky, I love that), or anybody want a peanut?
So many great lines to quote too! ;-) It's a movie that never fails to put me in a good mood and I hope it puts you in one and that it gets you into the kitchen this month, as it would be inconceivable if you didn't join us!
How to Participate in Food 'n Flix:
- Watch The Princess Bride and taking inspiration from the film, head into the kitchen and cook or bake or make something.
- Post about it on your blog with a link back to THIS post and a link to Food 'n Flix. (Use of the Food 'n Flix logo is optional)
- If you don't have a blog but you want to join in, you can post a photo of the dish you made on Instagram (public accounts only). You must include the following in your caption: short intro, recipe, #FoodnFlix, and tag me (your host) @DebinHawaii.
- Your post must be current (during the month of film). And of course we don't mind if your post is linked to other events... the more the merrier!
- Have fun with it!
- Email your entries - both blog (and Instagram if using) - to me at email@example.com and please cc firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
-the name of your blog as you want it written (or Instagram account)
-the name of the dish/drink you created AND a direct link to your post
-attach a photo or give permission for me to pull one from your post
-indicate "Food 'n Flix Submission" in the subject line.
Deadline for submission is Tuesday, May 30th (by the end of the day wherever you are.)
Happy watching and cooking and have fun storming the castle!