Sunday, May 16, 2021

Simple Creamy Tomato Soup for Dipping and for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

There's a craft and gift fair every third Saturday near my house and I usually treat myself to some dim sum offerings and I also buy a slice of spinach and sun-dried tomato stuffed foccacia bread from another local vendor.  I decided that today's soup would be a simple creamy tomato soup, perfect for dipping my sandwich into. 


There are a ton of tomato soup recipes on this blog. I just used my own simple one that I made with a bottle of Mutti Tomato Puree "passata" that I had purchased on a deal on at my local grocery store. You could use another pasatta, tomato sauce, or another can of tomatoes if you can't find this one. I also like coconut milk in my creamy tomato soup, but you can use a milk or cream of your choice.

Simple Creamy Tomato Soup
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen 
(Serves 4)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped or these frozen sautéed glazed onions
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano 
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes & their juices
1 bottle Mutti Tomato Puree
2 cups non-chicken broth
1 can coconut milk or 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
2 tsp brown sugar
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onions until soft and add the garlic, herbs and spices, and the crushed red pepper,and cook for 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. 

Remove from heat, and (in batches if you don't have a high speed blender), puree in a blender until smooth.  Return soup to the pot, stir in the coconut milk and brown sugar and heat through. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper as needed.


Notes/Results:  Just a simple creamy soup, perfect for dunking in a grilled cheese or a stuffed focaccia. The coconut milk makes it ultra creamy and the tomato puree add sweetness. Simple and good and it just poured down rain for a few minutes, which is what you want for a tomato soup and sandwich day. I'll happily make it again. 


Let's see who is here in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week: 

Balvinder of Simple Gluten Free Kitchen joins us for the first time this week with a pasta dish that can be enjoyed as a pasta salad the next day. She says, "This insanely delicious creamy tomato spinach pasta is simple to make, tastes great, and is the perfect dinner for busy weeknights. As I am the one who handle all the garden and household chores the dinners I make during summer are usually quick ones that take an hour or less. And also that use ingredients which I have on hand. There are days and times for fancy recipes with fancy ingredients, but there’s nothing like a simple meal with simple ingredients that tastes fancy. And this Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta is exactly the kind of recipe that checks all the boxes from taste to ease of making."


Judee of Gluten Free A- Z Blog shares this Quinoa Confetti Salad, saying "This colorful quinoa confetti salad, trimmed in curly red lettuce, is a tasty salad for a spring or summer day.I often make quinoa and use it as a simple warm side dish, a filling for stuffed peppers, or as an addition to a salad. ... I diced up cucumber, red pepper, parsley, black olives, celery, green onion, and red onion. I then tossed it in a salad with chickpeas blanched almonds, and cooked quinoa- making it a high protein vegan meal.


Thanks to Balvinder and Judy for joining me this week.

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!
 

1 comment:

  1. I really love tomato soup. This simple soup looks delicious .

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)