Sunday, April 25, 2021

Six Lentil Soups I Have Loved for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays + A Bonus Favorite

I am getting busier and lazier lately and it shows in Souper Sundays as I think this is the third time in two months where I have not made a new soup. It was warm and humid, I was tired and trying to finish up a work project for next week and not down for being in the kitchen. Instead, I bring you a set of six lentil soups I have loved. 

This is not a comprehensive list as I have 50 recipes on the site tagged with "lentils" and most are soup. Also, I picked recipes from some of the 21 featured chefs we cook along with at I Heart Cooking Clubs

A soup I have made multiple times is Mark Bittman's simple Red Lentil Soup with Lemon


Ottolenghi's Puy Lentil and Eggplant Stew is a great combination of flavors. 


Very basic but very good, Eric Ripert's Instagram Lentil Soup:


A little fancier take (use the good lentils and olive oil please!) ;-) is Ina's Lentil Vegetable Soup:


A different take on lentil soup is Giada's Lentil and Pasta Soup 


Heidi Swanson's Lentil Chili (Pierce Street Vegetarian Chili) 


I was all done with my six and a I remembered this one: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Lentil Soup with Caraway and Minted Yogurt:


There you go. Soup, stew, chili, some basic and some unique but all are memorable and perfect for a rainy day which is why I am linking them up at I Heart Cooking Clubs for this week's Rainy Day Eats theme.


Let's see who is here in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week: 


Judee of Gluten Free A - Z Blog shares a Mango Coleslaw this week saying, "Coleslaw is one of my favorite salads.  You can imagine how excited I was to find this mango coleslaw recipe. With hues of orange, purple, and light greens from vegetables, this tasty vegan slaw is beautiful to serve for any occasion. The addition of slices of fresh mango adds a delicate sweetness that enhances this vegan and gluten-free side dish."


Also feeling the cabbage this week was Crafty Gardener with their Soup'er Cabbage Soup, saying "To use the remainder of the cabbage I made some cabbage soup.I always cook a big batch of soup so there is lots for the freezer for later. This time I made two dishes of casserole and froze one of them. Both the soup and cabbage casserole freeze well."

Radha of Magical Ingredients for a Wholesome Life From the Heart of My Home shared two flavorful bowls this week, saying "Mulligatawny soup is the comfortable soup the we had growing up. When are in good health or when we are sick, this is the one we always had. Milagu Thanni (Pepper water) became Mulligatawny soup. Traditionally, this is a broth, but there are so many variations including creamy dal version. And is served over rice. It can be had as such too. South Indian Rasam falls in the broth category. There are many different styles of rasam and today I am sharing the Pepper - Cumin Rasam which is our Mulligatawny Soup."


For her second soup, Radha shared this Instant Pot Slowcooked Chipotle Corn Chowder saying, "This is simple, easy to make soup filled with flavors from fresh corn and chipotle peppers. Also, this is one of our favorite soups. This is a slow cooked version using Instant Pot. Instant Pot is handy when you need to make things quicker or use as a slow cooker. This is a blessing for me to make quick meals as well as slow cooked ones in one single appliance."


Thank you to all who joined me this week!
 
(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!
 

5 comments:

  1. A great collection of lentil soups. Some interesting variations. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interested in the eggplant/lentil soup. But, they all sound delicious, homey, and comforting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same, my excuse too for not joining in the past couple of weeks. Lack of soup in my home, but this week we did have pasta for lunch - so here i am. Still liking the lentil variation of soups; and off to check out the submissions too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean.... this collection of soups is so comforting and has me craving lentils! Giada’s Lentil and Pasta version is really speaking to me right now.

    I also love the looks of Radha’s Chipotle Corn Chowder.

    I would love a bowl of each right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentil soups and would love to try some of your soups. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)