Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cheezy Broccoli Soup: Vegan-Style Comfort Food for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays


The craving hit for broccoli-cheese soup and I wanted one without the dairy and the calories and fat it brings. Originally I was going to make my favorite go-to vegan cheese sauce from Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli and stir it into a creamy broccoli soup, but when I went to look it up, I found she had a recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Soup in Sourdough Bread Bowls. Since it was easier and faster than making a separate sauce, I gave it a try--adding a red bell pepper for some holiday color. I didn't have bread bowls but served with some hunks of baguette, it was a satisfying dinner.  My changes are in red below.

Chloe says, "This soup has a smooth cheesy base with hearty chunks of tender broccoli. I always turn to this soup when I am in need of a cozy comfort food. This dish is perfect for rainy day blues."


Cheezy Broccoli Soup
Adapted From Chloe's Kitchen, Chloe Coscarelli
(Serves 6)

2 Tbsp olive oil (I used 1 Tbsp)
1 onion, chopped
(I added 1 red bell pepper, chopped)
sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
2 cups soy, almond or rice milk (I used an unsweetened almond-coconut blend)
1 bunch broccoli, florets cut, stems trimmed, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper
 
In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat, and saute onion and red pepper until soft. Season generously with salt, add garlic and let cook a few more minutes.

Add broth, non-dairy milk, and broccoli. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes until broccoli is tender.

Spoon out a small amount of broccoli florets and red pepper pieces and reserve. In batches, transfer the remaining soup to a blender and puree. Return pureed soup to the pot and add the reserved broccoli florets and red pepper. Over low heat, stir in nutritional yeast until incorporated. Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Mix well.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional red pepper if desired. Enjoy!


Notes/Results: I love a soup that tastes decadent but really is a healthy choice. This one has that creamy, cheesy taste and texture but is low-fat and cholesterol free. The nutritional yeast adds vitamins--along with the red pepper and broccoli. It's not quite the gooey, cheese-filled bowl you may have had but it makes a great substitution, totally filling the craving. I would make this again. 


Just a couple of friends visiting the Souper Sundays kitchen this week with one soup and one salad to share--let's take a look.


Pam from Sidewalk Shoes made Rich Barley Beef Soup and says, "One of my favorite combinations for soup is beef and barley, so when I saw Rich Beef Barley Soup in Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy TipsI knew I wanted to try it.  I was intrigued by the two cups of leeks, that seemed like a lot, and I don’t recall making a version like that.It was yummy!  Unfortunately I couldn’t find oxtails, so I used a chuck with some bone.  And again, I just tossed everything in the slow cooker, except for the barley, and set it on low for 8 hours.  I cooked the barley separate and added it to the soup about 30 minutes before serving.



Janet of The Taste Space made this green and gorgeous Herby Peanutty Noodly Salad and says, "Herby, peanutty noodly salad. I couldn’t even make up a name as fun as this (Rob probably could but he didn’t). Pick your favourite herbs and toss them in this lime-spiked dressing. Coat noodles of your choice and add in some green vegetables like snow peas, snap peas or even broccoli. Toss with some (toasted) peanuts for some crunch and fats. Not as decadent as the meals this weekend, but I am ok with that."



Many thanks to Pam and Janet for joining in this week. If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo for all of the details. 

Have a happy healthy holiday week! 
 

4 comments:

  1. Love it, Deb!! I had a very comforting broccoli dal in our rep[eater recipes but this looks like fun, too! I love your red pepper star! :) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peanutty noodly salad looks lovely - would be great with leftover turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been craving a TON of cheese lately. This broccoli soup looks perfect to satisfy that minor obsession :P

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)