Friday, August 7, 2009

Prosciutto-Roasted Figs for Tyler Florence Fridays

More fresh figs at the farmer's market this weekend means more figs to cook with this week. I bought two small bags and used some for a repeat of last week's wonderful Chicken Paillard with Fresh Fig Salad and Blue Cheese. Some of the figs just got devoured in their natural state and a couple ended up dipped in some melted dark chocolate for an impromptu dessert/snack. (BTW--If you haven't ever enjoyed fresh figs covered in dark chocolate I urge you to try it immediately. They were so good I couldn't be bothered with waiting to take pictures, I had to eat them!). Finally, I decided to "get figgy" with Tyler once more and use my remaining fruit to make a few of his Prosciutto-Roasted Figs for my TFF pick this week. In order to use up some ingredients and not have to run to the store, I made a few little adjustments to the recipe, but these simple little bites were still perfect and delicious.


The Recipe can be found in Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen (page 198-199) or on the Food Network site here, where they were a part of a How To Boil Water episode.

Tyler says: "These little gems are what I like to think of as new wave pigs in a blanket. The ham and fruit are a perfect balance of salty and sweet, and a sip of champagne complements the flavors perfectly."

Prosciutto-Roasted Figs
Tyler Florence
(Yields 40 Pieces)

40 small fresh mission figs
4 ounces manchego or blue cheese
20 prosciutto slices, halved
1/3 cup honey
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Make a small slit in the side of each fig and stuff a raisin-size piece of cheese in the opening. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each fig to enclose it. Stand the figs on a baking sheet. Bake until the prosciutto melts slightly and forms a skin around the figs, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with honey and season with lots of pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.



Notes/Results: YUM! These are just perfect little treats to pop in your mouth. It is all the same flavors of last week's salad--you just don't have to mess with the chicken and the arugula. ;-)  I had leftover Serrano ham from my soup topping this week and since it is so similar to prosciutto I went ahead and used it. Also I had one black mission fig and two green figs left, and both kinds were a bit larger than Tyler called for in his recipe. I made two stuffed with blue cheese and one with manchego; both were really good, but the blue cheese were my favorite. A definite make again, keeper recipe. They would be a great appetizer/pupu or you can just do like I did, eat them as a light dinner.


You can check out what Tyler recipes our other TFF participants selected to make this week and find out the scoop on what they thought of them by going to the site here.

Happy Aloha Friday!

14 comments:

  1. Way to get figgy with Tyler again! You and Ty have some great fig love going on. I would love to try this, it looks so delish.
    What a great app to serve to guests too, simple and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Na na na na na na na, na na na na na na (Deb's) gettin figgy with it. I swear that will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

    I love figs. My dad has a fig tree. I am probably going to raid it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me how much can be done with food. A fig is a fig until someone decides to make it serious food and then it is a delicacy. Nice delicacy you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering yet again. I LOVE prosciutto. I buy it in bulk at one of the warehouse club stores, since I use it so much.

    I've wrapped figs in bacon, which were fabulous, so I know I would love this. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't stopped thinking about figs since your winning post last week. I guess I have to get myself in gear and make a trip to the farmers' market today to search them out, along with some fresh corn. Great dish. I think the Tasso ham would work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can't go wrong with prosciutto and what a great combo! It looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! Man, I have missed your site! So I am shamelessly stating in this comment that I love everything you've done and boy, reading you certainly helped get me back into the kitchen. These figs are gorgeous, mouthwatering, and I can just taste the salty kick by looking at the pic. Another winner that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dare I say it....I like serrano better than prosciutto!! They sure are pretty and they look like they would be fun to eat AND easy to get addicted to : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. bleu cheese and figs, will have to try this when our figs come in season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet and Savory--it depends on the size of the fig I think. For appetizers if you had other pupus, one or two. I ate three for dinner with a small salad and was plenty full but my figs were on the medium-large size. They are fairly rich, so filling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I could stop popping these in my mouth...still dreaming of fresh figs over here...and I love prosciutto, too...ahhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound like perfect appetizers! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good, makes me sad to be allergic to blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)