Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Use It Up Dinner: Quick & Easy Eggplant, Zucchini and Chicken Sausage Over Rice Noodles

With zucchini and eggplant sitting in the vegetable drawer along with some chicken sausages from the farmer's market and wanting a quick and easy dinner, I threw together this Quick & Easy Eggplant, Zucchini and Chicken Sausage over Rice Noodles. The sauce is basically a combination of a couple of sauces from my vegetarian cooking classes with the ingredients changed up a bit. The almond butter gives it a nice, slightly nutty taste and the lite coconut milk makes it creamy. Served over thick rice noodles with a simple salad with miso dressing, it makes a delicious Asian-themed dinner in less than 30 minutes. 


Quick & Easy Eggplant, Zucchini and Chicken Sausage Over Rice Noodles
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 4-5)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 Japanese eggplants, sliced on the diagonal
1 medium zucchini, sliced in half-moons
2 chicken sausages (about 8 ounces), sliced in half moons
2 cloves garlic, minced
Sauce--recipe below
salt / pepper to taste
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped for garnish

Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add onion and saute a few minutes until it starts to soften. Add in the eggplant, zucchini, sausage and garlic and cook until crisp-tender. Add in the sauce, cover and simmer about 5 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cilantro. Serve over rice noodles.

Sauce:
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk (lite or 1/2 can regular diluted with 1/2 can of water)
1/3 cup almond butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 Tbsp ginger grated
1 Tbsp agave
juice of one lime
1 tsp sambal oelek (or other chili paste)
salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredient together in blender and season / adjust flavors to taste.


Notes/Results: Creamy and good, I loved the pairing of the chicken sausage and the veggies. Because I was feeding my Mom, I lightened up the spice level just a bit, but more sambal oelek or other chili paste would also be nice for a spicier version. You could also sub peanut butter for the almond butter--I just like the taste of the almond butter and usually have it on hand. Served over rice noodles (and if you use tamari or a gluten-free soy sauce), it is a great gluten-free meal. 


I am sending this one to Presto Pasta Nights being hosted by the wonderful Joanne at Eats Well With Others. Check out her blog on Friday for a round-up of some yummy pasta dishes.


12 comments:

  1. This looks really really good. I wish I were that creative when trying to use things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best dinners come from trying to use up odd ingredients in the fridge.

    However, you are far more creative than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good use-it-up dinner!
    That sauce is totally intriguing, right up my alley.
    Cheers to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific saying you got there, Deb! Somehow I think you have thrown together quick dinners before.

    I can hear them all singing your praises now, "You got talent, you got talent, you got talent and so much more!" (the tune is the famed Merman song)

    Rated – Most Creative Food Blog on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you basically used all of my favorite ingredients in this. Coconut milk AND almond butter AND eggplant AND cilantro. You just can't go wrong. Thanks for the submission!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very intriguing combination of ingredients, sounds delicious over rice noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all these flavorful ingredients! It looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great dish. I have never tried this type of rice noodle. I bet my little guy would like these since he can't have traditional pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting combination of ingredients and it looks great to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for me this week! I got leftover vegetables, rice noodles, and almond butter! I don't have coconut milk, so I'll just use my whole milk with coconut flakes thrown in. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love pasta! It's the perfect base for all those tasty good leftovers in the fridge.

    Thanks for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)