Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lentils & Greens Soup--Hearty & Healthy for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays


Craving lentils, I had about six different recipes for lentil soups tagged to make this week but then a big bag of collard greens showed up in my CSA box, plus I had a couple of Yukon gold potatoes and sweet yellow onions that were on the downward slope of their prime and needed to be used up quickly, so I created my own soup. The end result is this very hearty and very healthy Lentils & Greens Soup that just happens to be delicious too. Perfect for when eating has been a bit off-track and you need something simple and good. I made this a two-pot/pan soup so I could get the onions nice, soft and caramelized, but you could throw it all in one pot if you prefer.


Lentils & Greens Soup
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes about 6 servings)

2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked through 
6 cups water or good, low-sodium veggie stock
1 bay leaf
2 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped small
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, (sweet preferred), chopped
4-5 cloves or garlic, minced
1 large bunch (roughly a pound) of greens, center stems removed and leaves chopped
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley if you prefer)
Juice from 2 lemons
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, place rinsed lentils and add water or stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, lower soup and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add potato and continue to simmer another 20 minutes. Meanwhile heat oil in medium pan, add onions and cook on medium-low until onions soften and begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes. Add garlic to onion and continue to cook another 10-15 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Turn up heat on lentils, add greens, reduce heat again and simmer about 15 minutes. Add caramelized onions and garlic to soup, stir in cilantro and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Notes/Results: Great, healthy, exactly what I wanted taste-wise and no pantry waste. ;-) Lemon and lentils are a perfect combination, the greens and potato add texture and depth and the slight sweetness of the onions is a nice compliment. This is a hearty soup and I served it with a thick slice of homemade whole wheat bread spread with a white-bean "Uncheese Boursin" (more about that later), for a hearty but not heavy dinner. I would make this again.


Now lets see who is in the Souper Sunday kitchen this week and what they brought with them.

Debbie at Dining with Debbie has a perfect for fall, this Hazelnut and Watercress Pumpkin Soup. She says, "An Over the Top Recipe that I think you might enjoy and have fun with is this special pumpkin soup. You will need a steamer basket, bamboo steamer or a pasta pot with a steamer insert. You don’t, of course, have to serve the soup in the pumpkin shells, but it makes a really pretty presentation when you do." You can check out another great soup by Debbie, a Broccoli Cheese Soup and get the details on her fun "Crock Pot Wednesdays" event on her site. 



Sumana from With Coffee & Tea is here again this week, sharing my passion for lentils with her Black Lentil Soup. This one is full of spices, garlic, tomatoes and a whole lot of ginger, fully designed to warm you up. Sumana says, "This earthy lentil soup is my take on "Dal" an Indian side dish."



Chaya from Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog made Nigella Lawson's Butternut and Sweet Potato Soup this week. She says, "This will keep you warm and sweet. If has that rich sweet potato taste even though, I put in more squash. All, I know, is that it is delicious and for those cold nights, will be a pleasure to drink or eat (which is it?)"



Mary from One Perfect Bite pulled out her crock pot for this gorgeous brightly-hued  Scandinavian Yellow Pea Soup, a childhood favorite made by "Mrs. P" every Thursday. Mary says, "This is one of my favorite soups. It was made in the German and Swedish kitchens of my childhood with very different ingredients and results." You can read her great story about this soup and where it came from on her post. 



Donna from My Tasty Treasures is with us with week and she whipped up a perfect for the season soup. Donna says, "This was the best Turkey Soup I have ever made. And it all began with a carcass.. And so easy peasy. Please try this after Thanksgiving. The recipe is adapted from The Gourmet (bye bye we'll miss you) Cookbook, also found here, and is just perfect, IMVHO." A bowl of this soup and the peanut butter pie she posted with it would make me happy!



"Die-hard squash lover" Reeni from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice, used some of bounty of on-sale squash to make a savory Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup. Reeni says, "If ever a soup could sing then this one did. The roasted garlic and Parmesan balanced out the sweetness of the squash. It was a perfect harmony of earthy, sweet, and salty. This is an extremely forgiving soup, as most are, that's just one of the many things I love about them. A little extra squash - vegetable instead of chicken stock - heavy cream instead of milk - Romano instead of Parmesan - nutmeg instead of sage - no problem! Twist it around your little finger and make it your own. Just be sure to make it!"



For a stick to your ribs dinner that you can stick a fork in, Natashya from Living in the Kitchen with Puppies made this hearty Mushroom Barley Stew. She says, "We are all for hearty stews here in the fall and winter. Hearty enough that your spoon or fork will easily stand up in the bowl, without risk of falling anytime soon. Mushrooms pair beautifully with barley, and the Worcestershire sauce brings out their natural meatiness. Serve hot with finely grated Gruyere and all will be right with the world."



A big welcome back to Ulrike from Küchenlatein who confesses she has been a bit "lazy" in her soup making lately. No matter--the beauty of soup is that is always here and waiting! Ulrike more than makes up for her absence with a striking White Bean and Tomato Soup with Fennel and Quail's Eggs that she says is "from the slow cooker. I was happy just with the quail's eggs, but my gentlemen had some extra spicy sausages with it. A very delicious soup."  Happy to have you back Ulrike!



What a treat! My elusive blogging buddy Stephanie from Dispensing Happiness snuck in with this perfect Chicken Soup with Jasmine Rice and Ginger. Stephanie says, "A surprisingly filling soup. A homemade chicken broth for Matt, vegetable for us. Jasmine rice is simmered in water for a bit, then stock, salt, soy sauce (in place of fish sauce) & sugar are added, rice simmers a little longer. Stir in the ginger, and...yep, tiny bit more. Ladle into bowls, top with chicken & reserved ginger...and eat. Warming, hearty & just generally good." Good to see you Stephanie!



We have a salad this week from a new face, Radha from Urban Bites: Delizie da Hong King. Radha made a unique and delicious looking Huge Bean Salad with Caramelized Onion Puree. She calls this a simple salad, where huge beans are steamed, cooled and mixed with caramelized red onions, pureed and mixed with sugar, then sprinkled with pepper and basil seeds. Welcome Radha and thanks for joining us!



And a sandwich this week! Graziana from Erbe in Cucina is back with delectable Mozzarella Fried Sandwiches with Nira. She says, "If I had to suggest only one aromatic herb to grow, I don't have any doubts: the Nira, or Chives Garlic (Allium Tuberosum). It's similar to chives, but with longer leaves and a richer aroma. It's perfect for every dish that need an aromatic touch, strong but not overwhelming. The Italian name of this recipe is 'Mozzarella in carrozza': carrozza means coach... yes, the fairytales one. My mother prepared it when I was a child and I imagined that the coach was the fried sandwich, which carried the Cinderella/mozzarella to some dancing party... and the happy ending is when you eat them! (Ok, I have to improve my fairy tales before my baby grows up)."



A plethora of delicious soups and even a salad and sandwich to go with them--our soup cup runneth over with good food and friends this week. Thanks to everyone who joined in. If you have a dish to share for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sandwich) Sundays, then click on the button on the side bar to get all the details on how to join in.

Have a wonderful week!

13 comments:

  1. A hearty and comforting round-up this week! Love the deep, rich fall flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great review of soups from this week. I like how healthy your lentil soup recipe is. And I'm quite inspired by all of the autumn squash soups you featured.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love lentil soup. As soon as the temps drop here, I'll have to make it. It's pretty healthy, too. I missed this roundup because we lost internet and telephone... but, I'll catch you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are finally having some fall weather and it's been raining cats and dogs yesterday and today. I think it's time for soup!! Don't know which one to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for making do with what you have in the fridge! I'm so glad that it satisfied your yearning for lentils. The round-up looks great. I'm loving all of the fall soups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lentils, too, and this looks like a wonderful soup. I can't wait to hear about the "uncheese."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a sucker for soups. I have made a lentel soup with greens and lemon. It's been years and I doubt I can lay my hands on the recipe. SO, I really appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great round-up, Deb. It's not hard to tell fall is upon us. There are so many hearty soups being posted these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup looks hearty and so healthy! Lentil soups are also a favorite of mine. Lovely round-up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmmm! I need some soup...I want some soup...soup! Everything looks great :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely round-up of glorious soups! And salad and sammie! Fall is in the air and in our bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)