Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hibiscus Flower Champagne Cocktails: Elegant & Unique "Simple Saturday Sippers"



Although I know that I posted some pretty bubbly strawberry-passionfruit cocktails made with prosecco last Saturday, I just couldn't resist doing it again this week when I found these very cool and fun Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup at a local gourmet foods store. I have a great love of drinks with hibiscus flowers (the evidence is here, here, here and here) and I loved the idea of making these gorgeous and unique Hibiscus Flower Champagne Cocktails as described on the side of the jar.


From the jar: "Simply place a whole Wild Hibiscus Flower in the bottom of a champagne flute, pour in some syrup and fill up with bubbly! All the bubbles stream off and open up the flower. You can eat the flower; it has a delicious raspberry and rhubarb flavour."  


Fun, pretty and delicious, these are the perfect "Simple Saturday Sippers!"



The Wild Hibiscus Flower Company is out of Australia and is selling to gourmet foods stores, specialty stores and some grocery stores in the US, (Whole Foods and Williams Sonoma are both listed on their website), as well as other countries. At the store where I purchased them, they were $8.99 for a jar of about 11 flowers in the syrup. There is a booklet on the top of the jar with recipes for daiquiris, bellinis, mojitos and other cocktails as well as a champagne jelly dessert. You can also find the recipes, company history, stockists and other information on the company's website, here.



Notes/Results: Delicious and really pretty cool. I made one for the pictures in the afternoon (and sampled it of course!), then made them for a friend and I to enjoy with some dessert (Nigella's Chocolate Pots), after we went out for dinner. I used prosecco, which worked great, of course champagne would be excellent, or even a sparkling white grape juice or sparkling apple cider if you don't want to imbibe or want to give the kids a treat. The drinks have a lovely, berry-like flavor and the hibiscus flower is really tasty. We thought they would be perfect for lots of different occasions; an elegant dinner, bridal shower, holiday party or really any time you want an easy, special drink that impresses. The jar of flowers would also be a great present with a bottle of bubbly. A fun find, I'll be buying more and trying more of the drinks.


Happy Saturday!


***Cookbook Giveaway***
Just one more day to enter my fabulous giveaway of the wonderful new "My New Orleans: The Cookbook". Don't miss out on this one--it's easy to enter and you have up to three chances to win. Check here for my review and the details on how to enter. 

12 comments:

  1. what an gorgeous drink! I don't think I've ever eaten Hibiscus but I will most definitely buy them if I ever see them in syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You have taken the kir royale to a whole new level!
    I will definitely keep an eye out for the flowers in syrup. I love this presentation.
    And prosecco is a bubbly after my own heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. I can see more proseco in my future if I can just find some interesting things to jazz it up. Great pictures as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous is that! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the hybiscus. Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO beautiful! And simple ... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hibiscus. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just beautiful! I must get hold of some of those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You outdid yourself with this one - it's the prettiest drink anywhere!! What a really cool and fun drink. I'm going to look for these flowers next time I head up to the mall. What a great hostess gift this would make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very elegant and gorgeous! What a great way to impress guests!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so beautiful! I have had Hibiscus but they would make a wonderful drink for a shower.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)