Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nigella Lawson's Scallops & Chorizo--A "One Pot Wonder"


This week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme is "One Pot Wonders" which means recipes where all the elements are prepared in one pot or pan. I am almost embarrassed about posting this recipe for Scallops and Chorizo from Nigella Express because it is so simple and once your scallops are defrosted, it takes less than 10 minutes to have this on the table. An easy tapas or starter with some crusty bread to soak up the sauce or if served on top of salad or saffron rice, a nice lunch or dinner entree. 


Nigella says, "I have long been a fan of scallops and bacon and scallops with chile, and this is my combination of the two, using chorizo--the sausage not the salami--to ooze its paprika-hot orange oil all over the sweet, white scallops. It's quicker than the speed of light to make and quite as dazzling."

Scallops and Chorizo
Nigella Express, Nigella Lawson
(Serves 4 as Main Course for 8 as Starter)

4 oz chorizo sausage 
1 lb small scallops (halve them to make 2 thinner discs if they are very fat)
juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Slice the chorizo into rounds no thicker than 1/8 inch. Put a pan on the stove to get hot and then dry-fry (the chorizo will give out plenty of its own oil) the chorizo rounds until crisped on either side; this should take no more than 2 minutes. Remove chorizo to a bowl or serving plate and fry the scallops in the chorizo oil for about a minute per side. Return the chorizo to the pan with the scallops, add the lemon juice and let bubble for a few seconds before arranging on a serving plate and sprinkling with lots of parsley. 


Notes/Results: A great little dish that goes together very quickly and is quite tasty. The combination of the sweet scallops and lightly spicy chorizo brightened by the lemon is excellent. I also like the fact it uses only four ingredients plus a little pepper (with the chorizo, no salt was needed) and they are things I had in my freezer and pantry. This would be an effortless party dish and I would make it again.

You can see what the other IHCC participants chose as their "one pot wonders" by going to the IHCC site here.

23 comments:

  1. I have never cooked with scallops, I should try to in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chorizo is one of my guilty pleasures in life. It just has so much flavor! This is the perfect example of a one-pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love chorizo. A delicious 10 minute, one pan main - heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, I looked at making this one! I like scallops, but my picky husband doesn't. I bet this was a delicious pairing of two great ingredients. The chorizo is so great at adding flavor, even in thin slices :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My DSO would absolutely moan with pleasure over this dish--he loves scallops and I don't eat (cook) them. I really need to buy one of Nigella's books, especially since I just got a bookcase to hold at least half my cookbooks in the kitchen, where I actually use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore scallops, but I run hot and cold with chorizo: sometimes I love it, other times the very thought of smelling it cooking makes me run. You, however, have made it look most appealing, especially with that gorgeous rice. I have Nigella Express and now I'm itching to pull her collection off the shelves and play. :) (Her cupcake recipe from Domestic Goddess is a monthly staple.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I love about "One Pot Cooking" is the infusion of flavor and its easy clean-up. Deb, here you offer all of that & more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would love the scallops and chorizo together...seemingly odd, yet delicious combo!! And it is nice that there are only 4 ingredients!! I'm in love with chorizo anyway...so I know I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ow wow! I clearly have the wrong Nigella book. I would have jumped on that recipe faster than you could say "seafood"! I'm going to bookmark that one for sure...especially since i have both scallops and chorizo i the freezer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore scallops and would have them once a week if my family shared my passion. This looks wonderful. It's now on my hit list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the way Nigella describes her dishes - it's almost like she's right there next to you.

    What an interesting and delicious dinner - I've never had chorizo before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple and delicious...my kinda dish! This looks great, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb, I love chorizo, Mexican Chorizo. I use it alot in eggs, potatoes, beans and now I'll try it with scallops. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks very good! I like the spiciness of the chorizos with the succulent scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One dish meals such as this are my favorite. I love this combination, its unique and so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was planning on doing a scallops bacon dish this weekend, I think I'll sub chorizo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scallops and chorizo seem like such an unlikely pair. But the finished dish looks real delicious! I love how quick it is to make.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds excellent, the scallops & chorizo are a great combination! I've made scallops with andoille & peppers before and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love scallops but not so much chorizo. I just never could get my tongue around the taste, although I tried.

    Looks so interesting though, I might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the scallop chorizo combo. Definitely a bookmark for summer. Sorry I have been absent from IHCC while we were away but I'm back now and excited about the upcoming themes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That one is book marked for me in Nigella book. I wish I had doine that instead of those lamb shanks! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks amazing! What gorgeous little scallops. Seafood and chorizo is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh wow, this looks great! Scallops are one of my favorite things, and chorizo is great too.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)