Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Things I Am Loving This Week

It's Tuesday and time for the "Things I Am Loving This Week", those (mostly) food related things I am enjoying and want to share. Since we are smack in the middle of fall and Halloween is Saturday, I have a few seasonal treats I'm loving.


First up, Whole Foods had these cute little Boo Chips, little potato chips in the shape of ghosts and bats so fun for a Halloween party. Pringle-like in texture and flavor, I thought they need a festive but healthy dip like a Carrot Hummus to be dunked into.


Hummus is something I love and I thought adding carrots would make it fit the season. Creamy, slightly sweet (in a nice carroty way), it's a good way to sneak some carrots (antioxidants and Vitamin A) into your snack and very good for you when combined with the protein and fiber in the chick peas. Adding in some of the carrot cooking water, to help make it smooth and "dip-able" keeps it lighter than pouring in the olive oil. To make it really healthy, ditch the chips and use it to dip some raw veggies or whole wheat pita.


Carrot Hummus
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes about 3 cups)

1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed well and drained
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
juice of 2 lemons
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Cover carrots with water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil then lower heat, cover and simmer until just tender (about 8 minutes). Drain, reserving water and cool. In a food processor combine cooked carrots, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin and cayenne. Process gradually adding reserved carrot water until mixture is smooth and the consistency you want. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for a couple of hours so flavors have time to blend. Serve with assorted dippers like veggies, tortilla chips pita or crackers.


One of my guilty pleasures is the Cinnamon Chip Bread at Great Harvest Bread. It is great on its own, fabulous with almond or peanut butter or even a smashed banana on top and a little slice of heaven toasted with just a tiny bit of butter. (Yes, I love this bread!)


For Halloween they take my favorite bread, add some green food coloring and make these cute/creepy "Witches Fingers". Although I prefer my bread in its natural color and shape, they are certainly fun for the holiday.


And BTW--how can you not love a place that offers to cut you a big chunk of bread to nosh on when you enter the store?!


Finally although it isn't a Halloween treat, I am pretty proud of the Pot Pie I made at my Vegetarian Casseroles class this weekend. I am lucky that our local community college has wonderful classes and some of my favorites are the vegetarian ones taught by Alyssa Moreau.


This is only my second pot pie (Yep, I'm scared of pie crust too!), and although my partner and I worked on the filling together, we did our own crusts. This pot pie is dairy free/vegan and uses cashews blended with water for the creamy sauce and seitan, a wheat gluten that has a texture like shredded chicken for the meat. It has great flavor and texture and with the sage, thyme and poultry seasoning, it tastes of fall. To make it gluten free--switch the seitan to a soy product or omit it and top with mashed potatoes.


Pot Pie
Alyssa Moreau
(Serves about 4)

Filling:
1 Tbsp oil or margarine like Earth Balance
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 cup raw cashews*
2 1/2 cups water*
1 cup potatoes, cut in small cubes
1 cup lima beans or sliced green beans
1 soy cutlet, cubed or seitan, hand-shredded
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup peas
1 Tbsp fresh parsley. minced

In a large skillet, saute onions, celery and carrots in oil. Add thyme, poultry seasoning and sage. Then the potatoes, beans, and soy cutlet or seitan. In a blender, blend together the cashews and water until creamy (a few minutes), then strain through a fine mesh colander into the vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper and stir until the sauce starts to thicken. Take off the heat and add the peas and parsley.

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp oil
4 Tbsp water

Mix crust ingredients together (dry + wet). On floured surface, roll out into circle and top pot pie. Crimp down edges and make a vent in the middle of the pie. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until crust is nicely browned.

*Note: If you prefer, instead of cashew "milk" you can substitute 2 cups milk & 3 Tbsp flour.


So these are the "Things I Am Loving This Week." How about you? What kinds of things are you enjoying?


17 comments:

  1. I love reading these posts each week. I am now mad at my local whole foods for not carrying these Boo chips! How cute are they? I'm going to have to have a talk to them about this. I love the carrot hummus - I was thinking of doing something like this for IHCC. Great job on your pot pie - it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a festive list of 'thing I am Loving this Week.' I must admit the boo chips are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of carrots in the hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, the boo chips are darling! And I could so use a slice of that piping hot chicken pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the things you're loving this week. The hummus sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, they all sound like winners to me. Especially the Carrot Hummus, which I bet is sensational. I love your Tuesday series ~ it is always filled with great ideas and new things to look for in my market. Thanks…

    ReplyDelete
  7. carrots to hummus sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have entirely too much fun at Halloween time, Deb. Love your pot pie crust! And I want some Boo Chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are cute chips! and I love hummus--your carrot hummus looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great collection of good things to eat. I'm especially intrigued with the idea of carrot hummus. Will have to give up the same ole, same ole red pepper and be adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just in Whole Foods and didn't go down the snack isle. These are so cute, I'll have to pick some up before the weekend. The carrot humus looks fab. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb, I love the carrot dip with the garbanzo beans. Sounds so good. And those chips are adorable. Can't find them where I'm at, but maybe I can make some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those boo chips are so cute. too bad I don't have a halloween party.

    The carrot hummus sounds yummy and so does the pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so wanting to get my hands on the Boo chips..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hummus as well, Deb, especially the non-traditional flavored kind. The carrot looks delicious and I can't wait to try it. Pot pie kind of scares me as well. The last time I made it - I used Pillsbury biscuit dough as the crust. It was delicious.

    It's a good thing there is no Great Harvest around here because I would be eating bread samples constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those chips are so cute!!
    And your pot pie crust looks perfect. I am going to have to call you Deb-the-Baker. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boo chips are adorable, I wish there was a WF around here! I love your idea of carrot hummus, definitely perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)