Friday, October 2, 2009

Pan-Roasted Halibut Shutome (Swordfish) with Prosciutto, Lemon, White Wine, and Capers for Tyler Florence Fridays


This week my pick for Tyler Florence Friday's is his Pan-Roasted Halibut with Prosciutto, Lemon, White Wine and Capers. Although Tyler used halibut, fresh, local shutome or swordfish is about half the price of halibut here and is...well...fresh and local, so that is what I used. Served with some Ewa Sweet Corn and a Trader Joe's Multi-Grain Pilaf with millet, cracked wheat and soy beans in a tomato base with spices, it made an easy and delicious dinner.
 
The recipe is from Tyler's How to Boil Water on the Food Network. You can find the recipe here


Pan-Roasted Halibut Shutome with Prosciutto, Lemon, White Wine, & Capers
Adapted from Tyler Florence
(Serves 2)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground salt and pepper
2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus whole sprigs, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the flour on a deep plate or in a shallow bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and the butter and get the skillet hot. Add the fillets and cook until browned on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. At the same time, add the prosciutto and cook, stirring, to brown. Then flip the fish, put the skillet in the oven, and roast until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove the fish to 2 serving plates. Dump the prosciutto out onto paper towels to drain. Put the skillet back over medium heat. Add another tablespoon olive oil, the white wine, lemon juice, capers, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the parsley and bring to a boil; boil until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the fish, top with the prosciutto, and serve immediately.



Notes/Results: Delicious--a great combination of some of my favorite flavors and ingredients. The shutome worked really well, it was fresh and stayed very moist and tender. I made just a few changes to the recipe, lessening the butter by about 1/2 and using just a bit of oil. I also used the entire lemon and doubled the capers. With the saltiness of the capers and the prosciutto, you will want to be careful with the salt on this one, I was right on that edge, although my Mom, who likes more salt on her food than I do, found it perfect for her. The fish went well with the sweet corn and the rice, which I topped with some chopped pistachios for a bit of crunch. All in all, it was quick to throw together and made for a tasty dinner.  

You can see what recipes the other TFF participants chose for this week and what they thought of them by checking out the round-up at the TFF site here.

Happy Aloha Friday!
 

14 comments:

  1. Fish with capers and lemons never fails to please! And yay for shopping local, especially when it comes to fish. There's something that freaks me out about fish being shipped across the country before it gets to me...I don't approve. I have been binging on salt lately...I think your mom and I would get along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fish meals always make me so hungry - this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious! btw, did you change your camera or how you take your photos?? they look crisper now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic mix of flavours here.
    I'm with Mom, bring on the salt!
    What a wonderful dinner, I approve of the liberal use of capers and lemon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish we could even FIND halibut around here. With my newfound resolution to eat fish once a week, I thought about trying one of T's recipes for fish, but decided to give Branzini a try when we eat out on Saturday. This dish looks gorgeous, by the way. You do have great fish in Paradise. Lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful! I love crispy prosciutto. This sounds like one of those very flavorful meals that are light, which is a rare combination. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, Deb! I love that this will work with whatever fish looks best at the market. I really need to cook more fish, and this looks like a great recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful recipe. Swordfish is VERY expensive here so I'll have to stick with the recipe as written. Your photos are terrific. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow what a delicious meal, never used capers, will have to put it on my to do list, will tweet this
    have a great weekend Deb
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the flavors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanne--I try to buy local most of the time but sometimes a girl just needs some salmon! ;-)

    Heatherfeather--thanks! I love me some fish. ;-)

    Kat--the camera is the same but I bought a couple of photo lights and they have helped a lot.

    Natashya--I knew you would like the extra lemon, capers and salt.

    Arlene--yes I am lucky to be able to get good local fish here--makes up for some of the things we can't get local.

    Kim--yes, especially cutting some of the oil and butter--it ends up being pretty light.

    Cathy--I think it would work well with any firm, light fish.

    Mary--it would be awesome with the original halibut--whatever you can get easily.

    Rebecca--capers with fish is the best. I even put it in my tuna sandwiches.

    Pam--thanks! it was a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was directed to your blog for the Souper Sunday events. I love soups and will most certainly participate. BUT, this Halibut recipe about took my breath away. I love capers, this looks wonderful. Will make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! I love all the capers.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)