Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A New Foodie Book Club! So Get Ready to: "Cook the Books!"


There is a New Foodie Book Club starting: "COOK THE BOOKS" and I am lucky enough to be one of the hosts along with Rachel of The Crispy Cook and Johanna of Food Junkie. After finding out on the Royal Foodie Joust Forum that we all love food inspired books and how much we wanted a book club, COOK THE BOOKS was born. The basic plan is bi-monthly, a book (fiction or non-fiction) based around food will be selected, read, and used as inspiration to cook up a wonderful dish which we will all post about. What could be more fun!?!

For those of you who read my blog, you know how much I love to read and how sad I was when the other book club I was participating in fizzled away, but my new found foodie friends Rachel and Johanna are just as passionate about reading and cooking as I am--so no danger of that in this club! Check out their blogs to see their COOK THE BOOKS Announcements here and here. Since Rachel is from upstate New York, Johanna from Greece and I am here in Hawaii, we'll have a "global' feel to the club! ;-)


For the first round the book chosen is La Cucina: A Novel of Rapture by Lily Prior. Set in Italy, this is a wonderful, sensuous and mouthwatering story and I can't wait to see all the fabulous dishes it will inspire.

Here are the guidelines:
1) Starting today, October 1st, COOK THE BOOKS readers are asked to read Lily Prior's "La Cucina: A Novel of Rapture", (NY: HarperCollins, 2000) . There are a number of inexpensive copies of this book available online if you would like to purchase your own copy or perhaps you may prefer to get a copy on loan from your local library.
-----

2) After reading the book, cook up something delicious inspired by this novel and blog about it. If you don't have a blog, one of us three hosts above would be happy to post your entry as a guest blogger. Make sure to include a link to this COOK THE BOOKS announcement so others can find out about the details.
-----

3) In the meantime, feel free to suggest other foodie readings for a future round of COOK THE BOOKS by leaving a comment after this post.
-----

4) This round of COOK THE BOOKS will run from October 1, 2008 to December 15, 2008. Participants will then be asked to vote on the next Cook the Books reading selection and for the most mouthwatering COOK THE BOOKS entry. The winner will receive a fabulous badge to place proudly on their blog.
-----

5) Ready, set, read!

I really hope you join us--this will be a fun one, with plenty of time to find the book, read it and get inspired to create something delicious!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am happy to have you as a new cyber-pal that loves to cook and read. And combining the two passions? Perfect! I've got to get hold of a copy of this book soon so I can start thinking about the recipe possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you guys started a book club!
    Also happy to have a couple of weeks before I have to order it.... I have been doing a lot of book shopping lately......
    The story sounds like great escape material. Perfect for campaign season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found through noseying around and love it! It's great to find another local food blogger! Hope you're doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm going to have to join this one. I dont' think I can resist, although I'm already barefoot and TWD. But the reading and eating is too irresistible. BTW, I love your barefoot pick. I knew you'd pick something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a little FYI... Barnes and Noble has it on sale for under $5!!
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/La-Cucina/Lily-Prior/e/9780641911255/?itm=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel--I can't wait and I do have my old copy, yea!

    Natashya--Whats one more??!! ;-) But you have plenty of time.

    Jenny--thanks! I'll come check out your blog.

    Prudy--since its bi-monthly you gotta do it! On the BB entry-thanks! I am trying pasty crust--yikes! ;-)

    Techno-Angel--great tip, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really cool...I love to read...I'll go check this book out! What a fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it! I'm so glad you're going to do this! Since I have another non-cooking book club going on, I will try my best to join in this one too and get both books read (I like how there is some extra time). Yay for the three hosts who put this together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an AWESOME idea. I love reading and have been looking for a book club for a long time. A book club based on books about food. Perfect!

    Thanks for the tip about Barnes and Noble, Techno Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really excited by this! Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, I love reading as much as I love cooking. Matter of fact, I was telling Nate I'm thinking of starting a new blog just talking about all the books I read. Man, we could've been talking about books when we met. Gosh darn it! I don't know about this month--I'm so busy and I have a ton of books to finish up already. Two of them are food related...maybe I can suggest them for future readings. I'll definitely think of joining in next month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle--yea! I hope you join--lots of time to read it!

    Laurie--excellent! I am glad you are joining!

    Foodycat--start reading! Happy to have you join!

    Annie--you should join as we have until 12/15 for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to join - and your first book is perfect for me. I have a trip to Italy coming up next year. I love this idea of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just ordered my book. I love to read and love to make/eat/talk about food. What a great concept: do it all!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)