Friday, October 17, 2008

Guajillo Chile & Oyster Mushroom Fettuccine: Recipe #2 from the Nueva Cocina Mexicana Cooking Class


I thought I would post the second recipe from the Nueva Cocina Mexicana Cooking Class we took last Saturday (the first post on the class is here); the Guajillo Chile & Oyster Mushroom Fettuccine. I really loved the combo of flavors in this recipe and the chilies add more spice flavor than actual heat to the dish so it passed the Mom test too. I was not familiar with the Guajillo Chile, which is a dark reddish-brown chile with more of a mild to moderate heat. (GourmetSleuth has a good write up and photo here).

Guajillo Chile & Oyster Mushroom Fettuccine
Chef Adriana Torres
4 servings
-----
12 oz dry fettuccine pasta
16 oz oyster mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 guajillo chilies, seeded, de-veined and cut in to thin strips
3 Tbsp Butter
1/4 cup white wine
2-3 cups milk (1/2 & 1/2 is recommended)
salt
pepper
2 oz Manchego cheese, grated
cilantro (optional)
-----
Directions: Cook pasta in boiling water (with a pinch of salt and olive oil) for approximately 11 minutes or until pasta is "al dente". Meanwhile, saute garlic and chilies in butter, add the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until mushrooms begin to soften. Add wine and cook until it evaporates, then add milk. Mix in the pasta, toss it around and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with cheese and cilantro leaves (optional).

Buen Provencho!

Results: Very quick and simple to make with a nice creamy texture and good flavor. You could substitute other mushrooms for the oyster mushrooms with good results. I do like a bit more cheese on mime too--but doesn't a bit more cheese make everything better?! I expect you could find the chilies in a Latin market (we are lucky to have a great one here that I will post about one of these days) or even in a well stocked grocery store or on-line if all else fails.


BTW: Regarding our class and the recipes, Chef Adrianna spoke a lot about Chef Patricia Qunitana, an acclaimed chef, teacher and author in Mexico. She started the first culinary institute in Mexico and runs the restaurant Izote in Mexico City. (Her bio is here) The recipes we cooked--modern Mexican with traditional ingredients combined with non-traditional ingredients and cooking methods are inspired by Chef Qunitana.

Happy Aloha Friday! Have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. heart mexican food, though it is very hard to come by here. this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love pasta - this looks great! Fed-ex me some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that class is worth every peso. I can never ever get enough of mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right - cheese does make everything better! This looks great - I haven't heard of those chillies before either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat--Hopefully you could get some chilies and make your own, they were actually easy to work with.

    Natashya--I'll put it in the mail if you send me one of your empanadas!

    Prudy--me too!

    Foodycat--I would use them again they added nice flavor with out too much spice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had mexican-italian fusion before, although i've had mexican french. The strong mexican flavors would work so well with pasta I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jude--it really did work well with the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this and it turned out very well! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)