Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chocolate-Almond Butter Balls


Before I shelve Carb-Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robertson for awhile and focus on other cookbooks, I have one more recipe to share with you; Chocolate-Almond Butter Balls. Robin states: "These tasty treats go together in a flash, look pretty, and have enough healthy ingredients that you could eat them for breakfast!" But do they have what it takes to pass the "Workplace Test"?!? Where I work we have three basic kinds of eaters: 1) Only if it's healthy, 2) Healthy-smealthy--only if it tastes really good & 3) If there is food on the counter, I'll eat it! Although work gets a lot of leftover things I make that I don't want hanging around my house or hips, I try to look for recipes that make all three groups happy (actually group 3 is satisfied no matter what I make) These little chocolaty treats seemed like they would fit the bill nicely.

Chocolate-Almond Butter Balls
Carb-Conscious Vegetarian, Robin Robertson

1/2 cup almond butter
1 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup agave syrup
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup ground toasted almonds

In a food processor, combine the almond butter, wheat germ, agave syrup and cocoa; blend until well combined.
Roll into 1" balls and set on a baking sheet. Roll in the ground nuts and refrigerate until firm.
Makes about 20 (Per ball: 85 cal, 6 g fat, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber)

Results: Excellent! They do go together quickly and taste great. The combo of the chocolate, almond butter and toasted almonds is delicious. They don't scream "healthy" but the Vitamin E, other minerals and essential fatty acids in the wheat germ combined with the protein, vitamins and MUFAs (mono-unsaturated fatty acids) in the almonds make these little bites a pretty healthy, satisfying snack. They were eaten pretty quickly and passed the "Workplace Test" with all three groups enjoying them. I would make these again and would also try them with dried cherries or replace the almond butter and almonds with peanut butter and ground peanuts for variety. Robertson also notes that for special occasions you could add a tablespoon of amaretto or another liquor to the fixture before rolling them.

15 comments:

  1. are they like truffles? they sound delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat--they are a little grainier than a truffle--from the wheatgerm (reminds me a bit of a no-bake cookie) but they have a nice chocolate flavor. She does have a recipe for a truffle with prunes I think that i may try later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound delicious. Is there anything I could sub for the agave syrup? Would honey work or be too overpowering?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay Prudy, I bet you could use honey with no problem--you might get a bit of the honey flavor but nothing wrong with that. I used some maple alomond butter someone gave me and I liked the bit of extra taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, add alcohol next time for sure! These sound awesome! I think they would even pass my hubby's "no healthy stuff" test...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter would love these. She is in the always trying to eat healthy category but gets cravings for chocolates. These would be perfect.
    I can see how amaretto or other liquor would be great in these.
    I really have to try the agave syrup sometime - I keep reading about it. Is it like honey?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle--it passed it at work--someone told me I made it sound too healthy and it "tasted much better than that!"

    Natashya--it's the texture of honey and super sweet. can you find it up there in health/natural food stores? if not I am sure honey would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look delicious! I like your dried cherry and peanut variation, I will have to try these! Great choice for your Barefoot Bloggers pick, veggie pot pie sounds delicious. I will get to cook with fennel for the first time, I'm really looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea--Thanks! I am glad you like it. I am a bit scared of the pie crust but thought this would force me to get over it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm sounds like fererro rocher. Looks tasty with all that texture going on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is healthy enough for me! I am always looking for healthier alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth, I'll take these! Love almond butter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jude--it does sound like fererro rocher! But healthier I think!

    Aggie--If you like almond butter, you'll like these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They sound amazing! Add some chopped prunes soaked in port and you've got yourself some Christmas treats.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)