Monday, October 27, 2008

Pecorino Crackers


OK, I have just started cooking out of my newest cookbook, Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites but these tasty little cheese crackers alone might just be worth the price of the book. I made them to go with yesterday's soup and Giada says she "adds them to a bread basket, crumbles them over salads and floats them in soups." I think they would be excellent paired with wine (maybe a nice Chianti?).


Pecorino Crackers
Giada's Kitchen, Giada De Laurentiis
Makes 24 crackers
-----
1 1/4 cups freshly grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour
-----
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the cheese, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter. Using a hand mixer, beat the cheese mixture and butter until combined. Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing only until incorporated and the mixture holds together.
Place tablespoon-size balls of the dough on the parchment-lined baking sheets, tapping the dough down gently with your fingertips.
Bake until just beginning to brown at the edges, about 15 minutes. Let the crackers cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a serving plate.


Notes/Results: I added a little extra pepper to these because I love black pepper. I also mounded them when I should have flattened them a bit more; making them more cookie-like than cracker-like but in the end they were still delicious. Perfectly cheesy, flaky and melt in your mouth tender, these are one excellent little cracker. They are quick and simple to make and I have a feeling I will be pulling out this recipe a lot for parties. I think you could also make them using Parmesan if you don't have Pecorino-Romano handy.

12 comments:

  1. These do look tasty, but I have to say the first thing I thought of when you said that they would go with a nice Chianti was Hannibal Lecter! Perhaps my ghoulish imagination has been overfired by shopping for Halloween accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. butter + cheese = sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel--you know I thought about that after I wrote it and wondered if it wouls remind anyone of Hannibal. Too funny! Notice I didn't advise to pair it with fava beans too! ;-)

    Kat--you do math well!
    = VERY delicious! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! These look like exactly the kind of thing that I would not be able to stop eating once I started. These crackers and a nice chianti = dinner, as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, these crackers do sound good. I love Giada, don't you? I try and follow her show whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why look who is turning into a baker! It is a slippery slope, my friend. I predict a pie by the time this year is over.
    The crackers sound great! I love sharp cheese. And any reference to Hannibal.
    I got word that my Giada and Ina package is in the mail. Woohoo!
    Can't wait to check them out.
    ps, don't worry, you can't taste the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little homemade cracker with that fantastic soup? I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, these look wonderful! Savory little bits like these are my favorite kind of treat! Your Souper Sunday soup looks amazing, I really want to try it! Guess what I finally ordered -- La Cucina! I hope it isn't too late to join your foodie book club...I was checking out the website and I'm not sure about the posting date for our book inspired creations, is it Nov. 15th or Dec. 15th? Thanks Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! They look yummy! I made a savory cookie a few weeks ago that I sent off on Operationg Baking Gals. The flavor reminded me of a southern staple...cheese straws, or in this case, cheese pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought this cookbook and am glad to see one of the recipes has already been tested to great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy--thats my kind of dinner too!

    Teresa--I like her a lot too and usually like her recipes.

    Natashya--I don't know about that--crackers are easy, pie not so much!

    Prudy--yep soup and crackers cure all!

    Andrea--yea! I am so happy you are joining us. You have until Dec. 15th--plenty of time!

    Webbie--these are very cheesy--like cheese straws too.

    Matt--I liked both recipes I cooked so far--hope you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Is there anything better than a crisp cheesy biscuit? I am seeing these with a glass of chilled fino sherry. I love your pepper addition - perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)