Friday, October 3, 2008

Turkey-Apple Burgers Stuffed with Blue Cheese


My Mom is visiting from Oregon for 12 days which means coming up with different things to feed her. Last night I made this healthy salmon with rice and salad. For tonight, I had some ground turkey breast that needed to be used, some leftover blue cheese and one Granny Smith apple. How about combining them into a turkey burger with grated apple stuffed with blue cheese?!

Turkey-Apple Burgers Stuffed With Blue Cheese
Serves 4
-----

1 lb ground turkey breast
1 Granny Smith apple, coarsely grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
buns and burger fixings of choice
-----

Place ground turkey in a bowl, add grated apple, garlic. salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Divide each portion in half and make eight slightly thinner (but not too thin) patties, equal in size. Place about 1.5 oz of blue cheese in the center of four of the patties, leaving about 1/2" rim of burger around the cheese.

Top with the four remaining patties forming four stuffed burgers. Grill or cook in a lightly oiled grill pan on stove until they are cooked through (about 4 minutes per side). Top with your favorite burger fixings--I used a honey-bran bun, red onion, tomato, lettuce, and a touch of mayo and Dijon mustard.


Results: Incredibly moist, tasty burgers. The green apple flavor is not that apparent in the burgers, but the coarse grated apple really moistens what otherwise might be a dry turkey breast burger. (Have plenty of napkins available!) The blue cheese adds a kick of sharp-tangy flavor. Deb's Mom says: "Best and most moist turkey burger I ever had!" (Of course she is my mother and thinks I am pretty perfect--so draw your own conclusions!)


9 comments:

  1. gosh, I give you credit trying to figure out what to feed your mom for 12 days, I wouldn't know what to, I would probably end up making her cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Grill marks, burgers and blue cheese are made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, you are so creative. Ground apple in the ground turkey. Sounds absolutely yummy. I'm sure your mom is so proud of you for using your creative side to make dishes that wil please her. Good for you kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd have to agree with your mom: you ARE pretty perfect! And I've even had the pleasure of meeting you in person! You're truly a woman after my own heart too, stuffing all your burgers with different kinds of cheese ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb's Mom!! Make her take you to that place where they serve chocolate all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, perfect grill marks.
    I love the look of this burger, wish I had one right about now.
    Apple is a great way to keep the lean turkey moist - what a great idea!
    ps, Hi Mom! Enjoy paradise! Don't forget to go to the cupcake place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I love turkey burgers, but those must be the best looking ones I have ever seen!

    I have a little award for you over at my blog as a thank you for your inspiration and encouragement.

    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kat--oh I am going to make her do that too! She's making me cookies!

    Jude-I agree!

    Teresa--thanks! ;-)

    Michelle--You make me blush! (I'll pay you later!) ;-)

    Stephanie & Natashya--Mom says hi back!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)