Monday, October 13, 2008

Blog Party #39, Gross Anatomy--Bloody Fingers & Pink Eyes

Its Blog Party time again--the best virtual get together EVER, hosted by the clever Stephanie at Dispensing Happiness. Blog Party is a time to make an appetizer and a drink inspired by the theme of the month. This month we are celebrating Halloween big time by making tricks and treats inspired by body parts--it's Gross Anatomy time!

Lots of things to get inspiration from for this theme but I decided to take a trip back to my childhood and a favorite "scary" story my big sister used to tell me; "Bloody Finger!" These Bloody Fingers are breadsticks, made to look like fingers with marcona almonds as nails, dipped into a blood red marinara sauce, flavored with garlic, herbs and Parmesan cheese.


I come from a large family (I am the youngest of 8 siblings) but my oldest sister Phyl will always have a special place in my heart. Eleven years older than I, she was old enough to mother me, take care of me and entertain me, especially at night on the long car trips we used to take packed into a station wagon like sardines. She had a good selection of stories, but "Bloody Finger was my favorite, so I will tell it to you (as best as I can remember it as I was probably about 5 or 6 the last time I heard it) as I share my Blog Party treats.

-----------

Bloody Finger

It was a dark, stormy night and a man was home alone. The phone rang, on the other end there was some heavy breathing and a voice said (in creepy scary voice), "Bloody Finger coming, 10 blocks away!" The man quickly hung up the phone and a few minutes later it rang again. "Bloody Finger coming, 9 blocks away!" A few minutes later, it rang again. "Bloody Finger, coming, 8 blocks away!"



Bloody Fingers (Breadstick Fingers with Marinara Dipping Sauce)
-----
1 can Pillsbury Breadsticks (or your favorite breadstick recipe)
Marcona almonds
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
------
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Separate breadsticks into 12 pieces, then using a sharp knife cut each piece into 2 vertical strips. (For 24 longer fingers leave like this, for 48 shorter fingers cut each thin strip in half horizontally). Mix egg with 1 Tbsp water to form a wash. Using a pastry brush, cover each breadstick lightly with the egg wash adding a bit more at one end. Press a Marcona almond firmly over the egg wash on the end of each "finger" to form a fingernail. Bake fingers for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool and serve with dipping sauce.

-----------
The man is beginning to get frightened, the phone rings again. "Bloody Finger coming, 7 blocks away!" A few minutes go by and again it rings. "Bloody Finger coming, I'm 6 blocks away!" And again...."Bloody Finger coming, 5 blocks away!"



Marinara Dipping Sauce
-----
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 gloves garlic finely chopped
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
------
In a small sauce pan, heat oil, add garlic and cook until lightly brown. Add tomato sauce and paste, water, oregano, parsley and simmer for 10 minutes. (Add more water if necessary to reach desired dipping consistency). Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in grated Parmesan and serve warm with breadstick fingers.
------------
The man is starting to panic, Bloody Finger is coming and he doesn't know what to do. Ring! "Bloody Finger, 4 blocks away!" Ring! "Bloody Finger, I am 3 blocks away!" Again it rings! "Bloody Finger, 2 blocks away!" Ring! "Bloody Finger and I am 1 block away!"


What better for a "Gross Anatomy" drink--the Pink Eye! A refreshing blend of Cranberry Juice, Prosecco and an "eyeball" floater.

Pink Eye
------
1 splash Ocean Spray Cranberry juice
prosecco (champagne, sparking wine or sparkling cider will work as well)
"eyeball" (I used wrapped chocolates with a eyeball pattern but you could use lychee, peeled grapes or plastic eyeballs for a similar effect)
------
In a champagne or wine glass, place your "eyeball", pour in a splash of cranberry juice and fill to rim with prosecco or bubbly drink of your choice.


------------
The phone rings again. "Bloody Finger, I am coming down your street!" Ring! "Bloody Finger, I am almost at your house!" Ring! "Bloody Finger I am coming up your driveway!" The doorbell rings and through the door he hears "Bloody Finger, I am at your front door!"



------------
The man stands shaking, not knowing what to do. There is a knock at the door. "Bloody Finger, let me in!" He finally decides he can't stand it anymore as the voice calls, "Bloody Finger! Bloody Finger!" He opens the door....

"Hi! Can I borrow a bandaid?"

------------

Hey what did you expect?! I was very young and easily entertained! It was better in a dark car going down the freeway with my sister telling it--but you get the picture!

Here is to another great Blog Party and a toast to Stephanie, our wonderful hostess. (I can't wait to see what great dishes she comes up with!). The date to RSVP for Blog Party is this Thursday, October 16th and the roundup will be posted after Saturday, October 18th so check out all the Gross Anatomy treats here. Happy Halloween Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I love it!!
    Bloody Fingers and Pink Eyes, very creative. I like how you interspersed the fable throughout the recipe.
    Now I guess I had better start thinking of what to bring to Blog Party....

    ReplyDelete
  2. spooky, but this kind of blood I can handle...happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still tell that story around here. I have to admit that it was much creepier with the fingers and marinara sauce. It looks almost real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you had me going - I thought these were your biscotti and I was wondering what your sauce was! I love the idea for Halloween. I used to use vienna sausages with almonds in the end and ketchup in the middle. I like your idea much much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Love the bloody fingers and the pink eyes. We're doing Halloween at work...I may make the Bloody Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natashya--thanks! I know you will come up with something fabulous for the BP!

    Kat--a bit gross but hopefully in a fun way!

    Prudy--yea--I am glad you know the story too. Hope it was too real looking for anyone!

    Peggy--oh the vienna sausages are a great idea too--how fun!

    Webbie--they are kind of fun! You can make fatter fingers too.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)