Friday, September 26, 2008

Friday Miscellany--`Aha`aina Recipes, I'm a Chocoholic and Some Longan to Share


Happy Happy Friday! Since I have a few different things to mention, I thought I would do it all in one post today.


First off, my friend Michelle of The Accidental Scientist has posted more photos and a lot of the recipes from the `Aha`aina, or "Great Feast" that happened last Saturday. (See my post about this incredible event here) So if any of the pictures of the fabulous dishes we ate caught your eye, you can look for the recipes here on her site. Also if you happen to be cruising by Foodbuzz, see the 24;24;24 event posts and want to give the`Aha`aina a buzz, that would be very cool.
------
Here's a few more pictures to whet your appetite!


Second, the wonderful and talented Teresa of two blogs: Mexican-American Border Cooking and Mexican Chocolate Lore and More has given me a very cute and appropriate award she created herself, the "I'm a Chocoholic" Award.
Hmmm...How did she know?!?
If you have not visited Teresa's blogs yet, I highly recommend them both. You can learn a lot and she has some wonderful recipes too. Thanks Teresa--I am "wearing" the award badge proudly on my blog!

----
Finally, for the past two weeks my CSA box has had a bag of Longan in it and I thought I would share them with you. A Longan is a tropical tree, native to China, that bears a lychee-like fruit. Longan translates to "dragon's eye" referring to the way the peeled fruit's translucent flesh over a rounded black seed looks like an eyeball. The fruit is peeled and eaten fresh, can be dried and is also sold in cans of syrup in Asian markets here. The flavor is a bit less sweet than that of a lychee and I think it has more floral tones. In Chinese medicine it is reported to be good for the skin, rejuvenating and a good "sexual tonic." (oh my!) They make a nice healthy snack and I like to eat them when they are really cold.

I hope you all have an incredible weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Wild woman in Hawaii! All hopped up on Dragons's eyes and chocolate. No wonder the wind blows so lustily there.
    I really need to go to Hawaii, please save me some nibblies. They look really good. That first picture looks like it will make a fine breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I see of those aha'aina pictures the more I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, congrats on a chocolate lovers award. So deserving!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocoholic award...cool! longan is good ice cold :) enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natashya--yep it gets pretty crazy here! ;-) Hurry up and come on over!

    Foodycat--I know, I wish I was back there--I think I am finally ready to eat more of everything!

    Prudy--I would like to thank my parents, Hersheys, Nestle and.... ;-)

    Kat--I am still more of a rambutan fan but the longan is good. Ooh, you said icy and now you just made me think of peeling it and freezing it like grapes...gonna have to try that! Hope you have a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, leave it to you to find the perfect "sexual tonic"! (Can you get me some???):) Great post sweetie. And thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa--of course I'll get you some--I am not doing much with it! ;-) You are welcome for te plug--I enjoy both sites a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just going through the archives I've missed (obviously!), but I just wanted to say thank you for the "plug"!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)