Saturday, September 27, 2008

Soy Good "Egg" Salad


Today's recipe comes from Carb-Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robertson. You may be thinking; "Hey, I read your blog Deb, and you appear to be neither a vegetarian, based on all that lamb you eat nor particularly carb-conscious after all that bread I see you enjoying so whats up with the cookbook?" My cookbook collection has no bounds or prejudices and since I dabble in eating a more plant-based diet by eating no or little meat a couple of days a week, my collection has a lot of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. I bought this book at Costco as I have one of the author's other books; Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and I like her recipes. I have had eggless "egg" salad from the natural foods store before but generally find them to be too one dimensional and much too mustardy. I liked the ingredients for this one and thought it would be good for a healthy lunch.

Soy-Good "Egg" Salad
Carb Conscious Vegetarian, Robin Robertson

1/3 cup soy mayonnaise
2 Tbsp tahini paste
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground paprika
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 lb extra firm tofu, well drained, squeezed and patted dry
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp chopped scallion or green onion
1 tsp capers, rinsed, drained and chopped (optional)

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tahini, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, paprika, turmeric and ground red pepper, stir well.

Place the tofu in a large bowl and crumble it with a fork. Add the celery, parsley, scallion and capers. Stir in the mayonnaise mixture and blend well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. When ready to serve, taste to adjust the seasoning.

Serves 4 (per recipe 190 cal, 16 g fat, 9 g protein, 2 g fiber but replacing the mayo with Greek yogurt and a bit of low fat mayo brings those calories and fat counts down)

Notes/Results: I reduced the mayonnaise (and I only had light regular mayo) to 2 Tbsp and used Greek yogurt for the rest of the 1/2 cup soy mayo requested. I also doubled the capers and did not chop them--I love me some capers. I also added some ground black pepper and used a chipotle powder in place of the ground red pepper for a bit more smokiness. The flavor of this "egg" salad is delicious and has lots of layers--smokey, tangy, just enough mustard. The texture is not exactly egg salad-like but it is close and there is no messing with boiling eggs, peeling and chopping them. I ate it for lunch wrapped in green lettuce leaves but would also eat it it as a sandwich, a salad topper or on crackers. I will make this again.

9 comments:

  1. ooh never thought to add capers to egg salad, will have to try adding them the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting recipe! I've done 'tofu scrambles' kind of like scrambled eggs with veggies and spices tossed it, and those are pretty good. Thanks for the comment on my Indian meal, the No Hurry Vegetable Curry is probably wonderful, but I deviated from the recipe so much I wouldn't feel right giving it a real review. I did not use canned tomatoes, I had a 1 lb carton of 'exotic' baby tomatoes and quartered those instead, I also added extra carrot, forgot the peas (oops) and totally skipped the coconut milk in the end which would have made the dish wonderful but I didn't have any in the pantry like I thought I did. I plan to try it again as written at some point since I love curry, it was a little spicey but I like it hot so I think it could have used some more heat. If you get a chance to try it as written be sure to blog about it and let us know what you think! What are your favorites from that book? I've only tried a couple but love the black bean soup and the idea of sloppy lentils, haven't tried that exact recipe yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb:

    FoodJunkie is having troubles loading the Foodie Joust forum but I let her know that you are interesting in hosting the Foodie Book Club with her and I so email me at oldsaratogabooks AT gmail DOT com if you are still interested for some more details about our scheme.

    -Rachel, The Crispy Cook

    Nice tofu egg salad recipe by the way. I just might whip this up for tomorrow's lunch for my part omnivore, part vegetarian, part vegan household. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would be so delicious and I'd love to try it since I have a love/hate thing with eggs. Sometimes I crave them and other times I'm repelled. I'd love to try this with the tofu and dive in. The other book, the veggie slow cooker sounds intriguing also.I'd love to see some recipes from that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb. Believe it or not, I've never had tofu. It just never interested me enough to go out and get it to try. But I really do like your egg salad. Thanks to you, I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Double the capers. Double the garlic. You are my kind of gal.
    I haven't tried anything like this. Thinking of getting that veggie slow cooker book now.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat--capers are my great love--I add them to lots of things1 ;-)

    Andrea--I have only made the black bean soup from her slowcooker book pre blog days. I was thinking of making it again. I have a few other things marked but nothing eklse tried. I will try the curry now though--thanks1!

    Rachel--that sounds like a challenging household! ;-)

    Prudy--I have some things marked in the slow cooker book so will post some of them as I make them.

    Teresa--I hope you like it! ;-)

    Natashya--I have only made one thing so far from the slow cooker book but the recipes look good and I have several marked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this egg salad and it got rave reviews. On my repertoire now for my "challenging" household of eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel--yea! I am glad it made the cut! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)