Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lime Frozen Yogurt


The weather doesn't know what it wants to do today, the sky going from blue with clouds to gray and overcast. It poured down rain early this morning so today is pretty humid and warm and I am craving something cool and tart. I was looking through the Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates cookbook and saw this recipe for Lime Frozen Yogurt. I love lime and the recipe is quick and easy to throw together so it sounded perfect for a muggy day.

Lime Frozen Yogurt
Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates

2 cups non-fat plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
6 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp freshly grated lime peel
1 cup sugar
-----
Beat together the yogurt, lime juice, lime peel and sugar in a bowl for about 2 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
Yields 1 quart frozen yogurt. Serves 6 (it would be six pretty small servings)

Results: Delicious and refreshing! It's tangy and tart but the sugar keeps it from being sour. I put a bit more zest in it and I might cut the sugar down just a little next time. Since it is non-fat, I wish I had been making it all summer. Try it paired with one of these.

9 comments:

  1. This weather is bizarre! It's been pouring over here all day long and it's not warm and humid - I'm thinking of breaking out the tea for once! But if it was warm and humid, I think I'd definitely be tempted to try this recipe - sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange isn't it?! I have had a couple sprinkles today but got all the rain last night. It just feels muggy here today. But this is a great quick fix when you warm up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are raining and muggy too. After our few days of early fall. I blame the storm whiplash.
    I love lime fro-yo. I will definitely make this. I am all about the tart flavours!
    Your little steamer basket of cookies is so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but but... that is a healthy pudding! How fantastic. It sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks really good! may have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the Moosewood books. I have most of them, including an original first book (it belonged to my mom but I'm fairly certain she never actually used it). They do good stuff.

    And I adore lime-flavored foods; this sounds perfect.

    Oh! We get temps in the seventies this week, for the first time since...February!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously? That's all there is to frozen yogurt? How did I not know about this!?! I'm going to takle homemade yogurt soon... maybe if it's really horrible I can jazz it up and make it frozen!
    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natashya--I love tart flavors too.

    Foodycat--I have to do healthy every so often! ;-) It does taste good though!


    Kat--for something so simple it is really good!

    Stephanie--I have about 4 or 5 of their cookbooks and they are really good.

    Cat's PJs--I want to try making homemade yogurt too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this recipe. I'm going to have to try it. Limes and Yogurt. It's sweet, delicious and healthy. Wonderful. Great post Deb.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)