Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bison-Boursin Burgers


OK, I know I should have posted burgers for the Labor Day Weekend instead of after Labor Day. Does it count that I made them during the weekend? These burgers are so good that you can make them anytime and a pan on the stove or a grill pan works just fine--you don't have to grill them outside. I love bison or buffalo for its health benefits; bison are grass-fed, lower in fat than beef and chicken and have more iron and nutrients. I also love it for its taste, rich and delicious. It is a splurge in comparison to ground beef, but since I don't eat a lot of red meat, I like to make it bison when I do. I also love Boursin Cheese, especially the black pepper kind for its creamy, peppery goodness. Since I had both in the refrigerator, they came together in Bison-Boursin Burgers, (isn't that just fun to say?!), simple bison patties stuffed with the cheese. My CSA box had a few oyster mushrooms and I sauteed those in butter, salt and pepper and topped my burgers with them.

Bison-Boursin Burgers
serves 3
-----
1 lb ground bison
1/2 package (5.2 oz) Boursin Cheese (any flavor but the Black Pepper rocks!)
salt and pepper to taste
bun and burger toppings of your choice (warm sauteed mushrooms, preferred)

Separate bison meat into 6 equal portions. Make six slightly thinner (but not too thin) patties, equal in size. Place about 1 oz of Boursin in the center of three of the patties, spread it slightly leaving about 1/2" rim around the cheese.

Sprinkle with salt and a bit of freshly ground pepper and top with the remaining patties, pressing the edges to seal, forming three stuffed burgers.
Grill or cook in a pan on the stove until you reach your "desired doneness" level. I did these in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat about 4 minutes per side and they were perfect. Top with your favorite burger fixings (I used the sauteed oyster mushrooms, a bit of mayo, Dijon mustard, lettuce and tomatoes on a whole wheat bun) and thoroughly enjoy the melty goodness inside.

Results--My favorite things in a juicy, peppery, cheesy burger. A great combo of flavors and textures. If you are not into bison, you could use ground beef or chicken. A veggie burger topped with Boursin is also delightful. (I like Gardenburger's Portabella myself). The only thing that would have made the Bison-Boursin Burgers any better would have been these homemade whole wheat buns by Prudence Pennywise but alas, I made the burgers before she posted the recipe. My next burgers will be on the homemade buns I promise!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my word...it's almost 9PM here in Ohio and I need a Bison-Boursin Burger now!! That looks so yummy. I've only had bison once, in a burger, and it was great. Have to try it again.

    Yummy blog--found it through Prudy Pennywise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those burgers sound divine!! If you make these again on homemade buns, I full on expect an invite to come and try them (j/k you don't *have* to invite me)! Did you get the boursin cheese at R. Fields? I've never had it but after reading about it here, I want to try it because it sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autryville--thanks! Prudy has the best site!

    Michelle--you should probably see if the buns are a success first! I could mess them up you know! ;-) I bought the Boursin at Safeway (little green box) in the cheese section. Foodland would probably have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bison burgers, you are a girl after my hubby's heart. He loves them. And the cheese! Did Max get any?

    I am jealous of all of you who get CSA boxes. We don't have that program in my district. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound good and the name is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, how cool is that? I've never had buffalo meat but really want to try it. What is the taste difference between buffalo and beef? Good either way I'm sure. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natashya-thanks! Max isn't into burgers. I like my CSA box even if there isn't a lot of variety in it usually.

    Foodycat-thanks! I just like to say it out loud! ;-)

    Teresa--they are very similar, I think the bison is a little more intense in flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH man, I'll have to squeeze these into my grill schedule. That looks phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prudy--they would have been great on your homemade buns--next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)