Monday, December 2, 2013

Red Curry-Roasted Acorn Squash Slices with Cilantro-Mint Yogurt {#12WksWinterSquash}

I had a plan for the acorn squash I bought last week. It was going to be stuffed with a Tex-Mex-ish blend of black beans, quinoa, cheese and spices and baked. Too bad those were just not the flavors that I was craving today. 


I have been on a Donna Hay red curry kick lately and after finding out how good it was with kabocha in her Pumpkin & Chickpea Curry, then loving it slathered over salmon for her Red Curry-Spiced Fish with Sesame Ginger Rice Noodles--I now find myself wanting it on just about everything. OK, at least on everything savory! ;-) One of my fellow I Heart Cooking Club participants, Kayte of Grandma's Kitchen made a Red Curry Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe from Donna last week and it made me want to 'paint' it on slices of squash and roast them up. Speaking of roasted squash, one of my favorite things about Yotam Ottolenghi's Parmesan & Herb Crusted Kabocha was the accompanying dill-yogurt sauce. I decided to change it up and make a lime-spiked Cilantro & Mint Yogurt to go with these easy (and pretty) Red Curry-Roasted Acorn Squash Slices


Red Curry-Roasted Acorn Squash Slices with Cilantro Mint Yogurt
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen Inspired by Donna Hay & Yotam Ottolenghi
(For 1 Squash)

1 acorn squash
1 Tbsp red curry paste
1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cilantro-Mint Yogurt (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice acorn squash into 1/2-inch rings, scoop out any seeds and place in a single layer on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.

Mix red curry paste and oil together in a small bowl. Spread evenly on top and insides of squash rings. Sprinkle squash slices with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast/bake for about 25 mints or until squash is soft and cooked through to your liking. 

Serve warm with the Cilantro-Mint Yogurt sauce 

-----

Cilantro-Mint Yogurt:
1/2 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, or to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. 
Cover and chill in fridge to meld flavors.

Notes/Results: Just a few ingredients come together with delicious results. The lightly spiced curry works well with the sweet squash, then the cooling and tangy yogurt sauce contrasts perfectly with the warm squash rings. These would be great as a side dish, but I just gobbled up my squash's worth of rings as my lunch. Although I will eventually get around to making my stuffed acorn squash, this more than satisfied my cravings. I will definitely make these again.


This is my Week 5 dish for the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Event hosted by my friends Heather and Joanne. Feel free to link up your winter squash dishes during the week at the linky below--or on any one of the other participating blogs.   
 



 

3 comments:

  1. I love how you took ideas from two different IHCC chefs and combined them into one great squash dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am craving this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a red curry squash last year with tofu, and remember loving it...that contrast of the sweet squash with the heat of the curry is divine. This sounds lovely, and is definitely going on my to-try list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)