Sunday, November 24, 2013

Donna Hay's Kabocha (Pumpkin) and Chickpea Curry for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays + {#12WksWinterSquash}


Having half of a squash leftover from making Ottolenghi's Parmesan & Herb Crusted Kabocha, I found a great use for it in Donna Hay's recipe for Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry from No Time to Cook. I love anything red curry, and chickpeas seemed like a perfect addition to the chinks of kabocha and eggplant in this stew-like curry. 


Kabocha & Chickpea Curry
No Time to Cook by Donna Hay
(Serves 2)

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 Tbsp red curry paste (I added an extra tablespoon)
400g (14 oz) canned chickpeas, drained
600g (1 1/3 lbs) pumpkin, peeled and chopped
230g (1/2 lb) eggplant, chopped (I used Japanese eggplant)
400 ml (14 oz) coconut milk
250 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock (I added an extra cup)
1 cup basil leaves (Thai basil if possible)
lime wedges and rice, to serve

Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry paste and cook for 2 minutes or until onion softens. Add chickpeas, kabocha, eggplant, coconut milk and vegetable stock to pot. Simmer until pumpkin is soft. Add basil and serve with lime wedges and steamed rice.  


Notes/Results: Great flavor--a nice mix of sweet, savory and spice set off with squeeze of tangy lime and the herby-pungent Thai basil leaves. With the chickpeas and chunks of squash and eggplant, this is a rich and very satisfying bowl of curry. I did add an extra cup of low-sodium veggie broth to make it "soupier" and also an extra tablespoon of red curry paste because the one I use isn't all that spicy. The extra broth is delicious over the jasmine rice (steamed in the rice cooker). This made for an easy warming and delicious dinner. I would make it again. 


This curry is doing triple duty this week. In addition to Souper Sundays, it's  also being linked up as my third Potluck dish of the week for I Heart Cooking Clubs and it's my squash offering for week four of the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Event. Once the event link at the bottom of this post opens up at (at 12:00 AM on 11/25) feel free to link up your winter squash dishes!

Now let's take a look into the Souper Sundays kitchen and see who is here! 


First up, Tigerfish of Teczcape - An Escape to Food is here with Seaweed, Spinach, Fresh Shiitake Mushroom Soup. She says, "High in protein, low in fats, seaweed is said to contain almost 10x more calcium by weight then milk. Seaweed is also known to contain components that lower blood pressure, prevent arteriosclerosis, and combat tumors. The most common varieties of seaweed are kombu, wakame and nori. This soup is quick and easy to make. If you are one of those that stocks up frozen spinach, pantry-friendly nori seaweed, the next step (optional) is to get some fresh shiitake mushrooms, onions, garlic and ginger and you are close to making this soup.



It's always a pleasure to have Danielle of Peaceful Cooking here at Souper Sundays. She brings along a Curry Butternut Soup and says, "I love soups. I love creamy soups. I especially love squashy creamy soups...and that's why I chose it. This soup is delicious. The flavors are strong and subtle at the same time. Smooth yet lasting. Rich and comforting. Each bite brings out a new dimension. I'm eating a bowl of leftovers as I type and the flavors really pop after mingling for a day or two."



Janet of The Taste Space shares Maple-Dijon Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pecans and Cranberries and says, "Raw versus cooked. Talk about something new. Now the endearing term “little cabbage” comes to light. Shredded Brussels sprouts let their true Brassica family roots shine through, with a definite cabbage undertone. Here it is paired with a sweet maple Dijon mustard dressing with sweet dried cranberries and local Southern pecans for some crunch. Not sure whether raw Brussels sprouts are for you? I am certain this would be delightful with roasted ones, as well. Sometimes, it is nice not to wait for your vegetables to roast or to try something different. Something a bit lighter in spite of its wintery feel."



Mireille of Chef Mireille's Global Creations made this colorful Mizuna Radish Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette and says, "I discovered Mizuna lettuce last year. It has a great peppery flavor that I fell in love with and was so happy when I found some on a visit to the Union Square Farmer's Market. It is the only place I ever see this lettuce. With a few other ingredients from the market, I made this delightful salad."
 


Torn between two salad recipes, my friend Sue of Couscous & Consciousness created a 'mash-up' of Donna Hay and Yotam Ottolenghi dishes with this Pearl Barley Salad with Pistachios, Favas & Pomegranate. She says, "In the end, I took inspiration from both recipes, and came up with a dish which is a happy marriage of both. ... I hope you give this salad a try.  I found it substantial enough to make a meal of it, but with plenty of robust flavour it would also make a great accompaniment to roasted or barbequed meat dishes.  It also keeps well and leftovers are great for a "take-to-work" lunch the next day."



Graziana of Erbe in Cucina is back with our one sandwich this week, a cheesy and decadent Cheese Toast with Herbs Guacamole. She says, "I used my last basil and mint harvest, with other herbs, the last Diamond White peppers and the first avocado to prepare an aromatic guacamole. I used almost all the guacamole to stuff two delicious cheese toasts."



Thanks to everyone who joined in this week! If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the side bar for all of the details.

12 Weeks of Winter Squash!



Have a happy, healthy week!
 

11 comments:

  1. so many flavorful options this week and your curry looks so colorful and fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how fragrant red curry paste is and I'm definitely with you on adding a lil more than what is called for. You sure did put that one squash to good use this week! This is a good looking soup for sure.


    I'm loving the brussels sprout salad with all the fun add ins. I bet that is one delicious salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bowl of that curry would really hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a keeper...and I just love how pretty it sits in that bowl all glammed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely curry! I'm such a sucker for winter squash versions of them...it goes especially well with red Thai curry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love squash and red curry together...this sounds like the perfect warming dish for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow pumpkin, eggplants and coconut....all my favorite ingredients in one dish. Will try looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big Flavors from a Tiny KitcheNovember 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

    I adore curries, and this one looks great! I have that beautiful striped towel, too, so this must be meant to be! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb,
    Such a delicious looking curry! The sweetness from the pumpkin with the red curry paste and coconut milk, sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couscous & ConsciousnessNovember 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM

    Deb, this looks delicious. I often make a pumpkin and chickpea curry (such a great combo), but I usually use a Nonya-style curry paste. I've never thought to try it with a red curry paste - can't wait to give that a try. Thanks for hosting Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a new found love for winter squashes this year. Looks like red curry seems to be popular :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)