Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Red Curry-Spiced Salmon with Sesame-Ginger Rice Noodles


Since I am somewhat lazy most days when it comes cooking, I like recipes that don't require a lot of effort and go together quickly and easily. But, I still want them to look and taste great--the kind of dish that you would be proud serving to company. Lately, I am loving Donna Hay's No Time to Cook because it's full of these kind of recipes--like this Red Curry-Spiced Salmon with Sesame-Ginger Rice Noodles. Because I always keep salmon in my freezer and had most of the other ingredients in my pantry and herb pots, this was a meal that was easy to throw together and it included all of my favorite flavors.


Red Curry-Spiced Salmon with Sesame-Ginger Rice Noodles
Very Slightly adapted from No Time to Cook by Donna Hay
(Serves 2)

1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp grated ginger
3 green onions (scallions), sliced
1 Tbsp fish sauce
100 g (3.5 oz) dried rice stick noodles
2 tsp red curry paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 (200g / 6-7 oz) firm white fish fillets (I used salmon)
1/3 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
1/3 cup mint leaves
(I added a squeeze of fresh lime juice and extra sliced scallions to serve)

Place a medium non-stick frying pan over low heat, add sesame oil, seeds, ginger, onion and fish sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove sesame mixture from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean.

Place noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water for 10 minutes, or until noodles are separated and tender. Combine curry paste and oil in a bowl and brush over the fish. Return the pan to low heat (I used medium heat) and cook for 5 minutes each side or until the fish is cooked through.

Drain noodles, stir through sesame mixture and divide between plates. Top with fish and fresh herbs to serve.


Notes/Results: A light but satisfying dish with plenty of flavor. The combination of sesame and ginger in the rice noodles compliments the red curry on the salmon, and the fresh mint and cilantro add a fresh, herby touch. I felt like the only thing it was missing was a bit of acidity--which a squeeze of fresh lime took care of. The recipe calls for firm white fish and I think that would be excellent but, I really enjoyed the moist tender salmon and think it stands up really well to the red curry. This recipe goes together in about 20 minutes, making it perfect for a busy weeknight--while still looking pretty enough to serve to guests. I will make this again. 


We are all about EASY Entertaining this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs--simple dishes that are suitable for company. You can see what the other IHCC participants made for by going to the post and checking out the picture links.   

 

13 comments:

  1. Thai curry and salmon were pretty much meant for each other in my opinion. Definitely bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't considered Thai flavourings with salmon but it sounds delicious; your plate is very pretty and company-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,
    This looks delicious! The salmon and red curry paste sounds perfect. Easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are salmon people and have it at least, every week. I look for new recipes and this is one, I do want to make. Your photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the looks of these noodles. And the color of the salmon against the cilantro and mint is gorgeous, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couscous & ConsciousnessNovember 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM

    This looks wonderful, Deb, and since I've got all these ingredients on hand right now I'm thinking this will be dinner tomorrow night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the styling. Yes Thai flavours do go well with fish. The touch of sesame is pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a curry person but I sure do love a good piece of salmon. For comic relief you ought to see me eat with chopsticks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought a container of Red Curry, must make this soon. Thanks for the recipe Deb. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salmon with red curry paste must be very tasty ! Would have cooked salmon if I had it at home. Great choice, I would definitely like to have a plate of this salmond rice noodles anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful plate of food ... the colors are enough to draw me to those chopsticks. Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb - This is a really pretty dish, definitely worthy of company, for sure. I have to say I'm partial to salmon and sometimes forget to sub out salmon in recipes calling for white fish. When you buy your salmon what kind do you buy? I feel like I read so many scary things about salmon and I always feel somewhat perplexed when I'm at the store. For now I just buy the wild sockeye salmon from Alaska, but you know that is some pricey stuff, especially when my husband wants to eat more than one serving.



    Love the flavor and aroma of red curry! Bet this was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)