Friday, December 13, 2013

Donna Hay's Raspberry Jam Slice


I have a *thing* for raspberry jam bars. Soft, a bit chewy, and sweet with a little tangy bite from the raspberry jam. Heaven! Perfect with a cup of tea. This time of year they also make for a nice pop of color on a cookie plate. I usually make jam bars with oats in the crust and topping but I came across Donna Hay's Jam Slices and liked the look of the toasty coconut on top. 


Raspberry Jam Slice 
Modern Classics Book 2 by Donna Hay
(Makes 24 slices)

4 oz / 125g butter, softened
1/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 cup plain (all purpose) flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup raspberry jam / preserves

Topping:
1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar (I used 1/3 cup)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup dessicated coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C.)

Process the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder in a food processor until combined. Add the egg yolk and continue to process until the mixture forms a soft dough.

Press dough into a 8 x 12-inch (20 -30 cm) baking tin lined with parchment. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the base is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool then spread with the jam.

To make the topping, combine the sugar, egg and coconut. Sprinkle over the jam. Bake 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in the pan. Cut into slices.


Notes/Results: Yum! Rich and buttery crust, good jam to crust ratio, sweet and love that  chewy coconutty topping. They are easy to make--something I prefer in my deserts/baked goods. I did reduce the sugar in my topping to 1/3 cup and I think it could have even been less because the dessicated / shredded coconut I had on hand turned out to be sweetened. These are soft so probably best to single layer them on a plate for giving--if you don't eat all of them before you do. ;-) I have a cranberry black holiday tea that these were a pretty perfect match with. I would definitely make them again. 


It's time to Fill the Tins and load up those holiday cookie plates this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. You can check out the sweet Donna Hay treats everyone made by going to the post and checking out the picture links. 


STOP!!! ;-)
***Book Giveaway!***

Do you like to read? Do you like well-written mystery/thrillers with strong female leads? I am giving away a copy of a book I just reviewed and really enjoyed: The Seduction of Miriam Cross by W. A. Tyson, to one U.S./Canada-based blog reader. It's easy to enter--just go to my review post here, and leave a comment on that post telling me about one of your childhood career dreams. ;-) 

 Happy Aloha Friday!
 

8 comments:

  1. So nice for the cookie trays! That jam filling is a little refreshing from all the crazy sweet confections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound really good, Deb. Especially with that tea. I love the term "slice." It sounds so much more sophisticated than "bars." (Although I have no problem eating bars)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look ideal to have with some tea. Raspberry and coconut, I can imagine how good they must taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fruity and chewy bar cookies always have a place on holiday cookie trays and these ones sound particularly delicious with the raspberry-coconut combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a thing for these types of bar cookies as well. I like the fruit flavor and the chewiness from the jam. Sadly no one else in the house shares my love for them so I tend to shy away because that means I will eat them all myself! I do like the idea of adding coconut on top. I don't think I've tried a version like that before. They certainly look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    This looks really yum! I was so tempted to make this last week, as I love coconuts in bakes! And I love bar cookies! Wishing for a slice or two right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and me both on the raspberries this week...there is just something really alluring about a raspberry treat this time of year (well, any time of year but they look so festive at Christmas with their coloring). These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couscous & ConsciousnessDecember 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

    Deb, I love jam bars too - one of my all time favourite sweet treats. These ones, with the coconut topping remind me of some that my Mum used to make when we were kids - you have me feeling very nostalgic now :-) These would be a really delicious treat to box up and gift to a special friend.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)