Monday, November 18, 2013

Parmesan & Herb Crusted Kabocha with Yogurt {#12WksWinterSquash}


This is a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe from Plenty that I have had tagged to make for a while now. I used Kabocha squash because it's my favorite 'winter' squash and I can get it locally grown--always a good thing. Ottolenghi serves these crusted squash wedges with a sour cream and dill dip--I prefer the extra protein and nutrients of low-fat Greek yogurt. My changes are in red below.


Ottolenghi says, "You can use most varieties of pumpkin for these satisfying wedges. Serve with {soup or salad} to make a light and healthy-feeling supper. They will also make a perfect veggie main course for Christmas as the crust is a bit like stuffing."

Parmesan & Herb Crusted Kabocha with Yogurt
Adapted from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
(Serves 4)

1 1/2 lbs pumpkin or squash of choice (skin on)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3 Tbsp dried white breadcrumbs (I used panko)
6 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 1/2 tsp finely chopped thyme
grated zest of 2 large lemons
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and white pepper
1/4 cup olive oil (or enough to coat squash as needed)
1/2 cup sour cream (I used Greek yogurt)
1 Tbsp chopped dill

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut the pumpkin into 3/8-inch-thick slices and lay them flat, cut-side down, on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.

Mix together in a small bowl the Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, half the lemon zest, the garlic, a tiny amount of salt (remember, the Parmesan is salty) and some pepper.


Brush the pumpkin generously with olive oil and sprinkle with the crust mix, making sure the slices are covered with a nice, thick coating. Gently pat the mix down a little.


Place the pan in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender: stick a little knife in one wedge to make sure it has softened and is cooked through. If the topping starts to darken too much during cooking, cover loosely with foil.


Mix the sour cream with the dill and some salt and pepper. Serve the wedges warm, sprinkled with the remaining lemon zest, with the sour cream on the side.
 


Notes/Results: Yum! Parmesan and herbs roasted onto wedges of slightly sweet and creamy kabocha with a little zing from the lemon zest make these treats full of flavor. The cool dill-flecked yogurt dip makes a nice contrast to the warm wedges and adds tangy flavor. These go together easy enough and smell delicious while roasting. I found I didn't need the entire 1/4 cup of olive oil and my crust mixture stayed on easily, once I 'patted' it down. I made a half-batch and ate a plate for lunch with a little leftover spinach salad. I will make these again.


It's Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs--our time to cook any dish from our current chef Donna Hay or any former IHCC chef--including Ottolenghi--so I am linking this one up there. 

It's also my Week 3 dish for the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Event hosted by my friends Heather and Joanne. Feel free to link up your winter squash dishes during the week at the linky below--or on any one of the other participating blogs.   


 

12 comments:

  1. Looks perfecto, especially with the Parm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very appealing. You are on a cooking spree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really delicious. I love Yotam so much - there's a new series of his on TV at the moment and he is so damn endearing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always substitute greek yogurt for sour cream...it's the way to go! And I love this way of preparing kabocha! Have to remember this for a good healthy after-the-holidays meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy (Savory Moments)November 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM

    This looks really good! I love kabocha squash and this is a different sort of recipe for it than I've had before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see how yum this is! I have not tried Kabocha squash before! I love roasted pumpkin and this looks really good! With the herbs, cheese, lemon and breadcrumbs, must have packed a ton of delicious flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is such a delicious dish, Asha! I loved the way it looks: makes me hungry! Parmesan and herbs add a great flavour...so I am sure, this must be really cool to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. pumpkin is one of my favorite veggies and that looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couscous & ConsciousnessNovember 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

    Yum. I don't think we get Kabocha squash here, but I would love to try this with some pumpkin. Must remember this one when winter rolls around next year. Love your idea of using yoghurt instead of the sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After I made chinese pumpkin cake, I bought another butternut squash and still wondering what to cook. This roasted pumpkin look so delicious, and flavourful. I know what to cook for today's lunch now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of this recipe ... simple and yet, it looks like you had much more work to do to achieve the crusty crunch ... love that it isn't fried!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness this looks flavorful with all those ingredients. Squash does fit the season where I live!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)