Friday, August 29, 2008

Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash

I love spaghetti squash because it is great when you want something "pasta like" but you don't want all the calories and carbs of pasta. (A half cup of spaghetti squash has about 25 calories and it also has vitamin C, beta-carotene and anti-inflammatory properties) It is quick and easy to fix and you can find it year-round, although it is best and most plentiful in early fall through winter. You can put almost any topping that you would put on pasta on it or you can just saute it with olive oil or butter.



It is very easy to prepare and there are many different methods of preparing it. I usually bake it on a cookie sheet in the oven. You just split it in half, scoop out the seeds (easier if you use kitchen shears to cut around the edges first). Next you put it cut side down, on a baking pan in the oven. I bake mine at about 375 degrees in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until you can pierce the skin easily with a fork. Let it cool until you can comfortably handle it and run the tines of the fork over the cut side, "combing it" so the flesh separates into spaghetti-like strands. Keep "combing" and pulling out the strands until you reach the shell or skin. Top the strands anyway you like. (This squash made about 2 heaping cups of cooked spaghetti)


These pictures aren't the best and I guess I didn't take one of the cooked squash before the "combing" but you get the basic idea.


Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small, sweet onion
2 Tbsp capers
Juice of 1 lemon
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups spaghetti squash
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add capers, lemon juice and cherry tomatoes and cook about 4-5 minutes more. Gently mix in spaghetti squash and heat through. Place in a bowl, add crumbled feta and garnish with parsley and rosemary. Salt and pepper to taste (with the capers and feta you should not need much salt).

8 comments:

  1. Hey there Hula Hula Deb. This looks fantastic. Another great way to make squash. I love it. You are so creative. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm fall is squash season and we are soon upon it. The leaves are starting to change here and the nights are now cool.
    I love spaghetti squash - this is a great way to serve it.
    Good tip about the shears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good! I have seen spaghetti squash, but it isn't really common here. I like the idea of the feta and capers with it (2 of my favourite things!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Farmer's market has spaghetti squash and about a million other kinds. I saw on TV where you can make spaghetti squash in your crockpot. Just halve it, cram it in and cook it all day. I love all hard winter squash and I definitely want to try your Med. take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made spaghetti squash, but now that you've made it seem so doable I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa--thanks! I still want your fajitas though!

    Natashya--don't say its fall--that means its almost Christmas!

    Foodycat--I love feta and capers too!

    Prudy--I have never tried it in the crockpot--hmm...

    Apples and Butter--it is so easy, you have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just got turned on to spaghetti squash recently. It's a great substitute for pasta in some dishes. Supposed to have a lower glycemic index?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nate-n-Annie--yes it is pretty low-glycemic & very good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)