Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chinese Five-Spice Seared Ahi Salad


If you couldn't tell from previous posts, I love ahi. I love its flavor, its versatility and how with it you can have something that looks wonderful and tastes great on the table in just a few minutes. I especially like to sear it and to play around with different spices and seasonings.
------
For this salad, I decided to coat the ahi with a mixture of Chinese Five-Spice Powder, toasted sesame seeds, salt and pepper. (Chinese Five-Spice powders are usually a combination of at least 5 spices--usually cinnamon, anise, fennel, cloves and Szechuan peppercorns; the idea being it reflects the 5 flavor elements of sweet, sour, salty, bitter and pungent). I tip I read somewhere is to score the ahi block before coating and searing it so that it slices easier. I mixed the five-spice, sesame seeds, salt and pepper on a plate and coated the ahi block with it. A quick searing, about 30-40 seconds per side (do all four sides) in a hot, oiled pan and it's ready to slice and serve.



I put mine on a salad made up of what I had in the veggie drawer--lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, cilantro and some chopped mango and topped it with a sesame-lime vinaigrette, the ahi and then a light sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.


Sesame-Lime Vinaigrette

Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 clove garlic crushed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1/8 tsp Stevia or 1/4 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
-----
Mix all ingredients together and drizzle over salad.

Easy, quick, cool and refreshing with lots of flavor--a perfect warm weather meal.

4 comments:

  1. this sounds and looks really good, I may have to try it, soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome Deb! I love ahi too and I am so enjoying your takes on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a better tasting salad, and somehow I think your tuna would be the freshest possible

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, Jenn and Prudy--Thanks! It was so easy to do and so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)