Sunday, April 18, 2010

Creamy Potato and Smoked Salmon Soup for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

I had some smoked wild salmon in the freezer to use up and a Donna Hay recipe for Creamy Potato and Smoked Salmon Soup from "The Instant Cook" marked to try, but the resulting soup ended up somewhat different than Donna's version. Among other changes, I added extra leek and potato and put in some celery, only pureed about 1/3 of the soup to leave in some good chunky bites, and replaced the 3 cups of milk with an extra cup of stock and a can of lite coconut milk. The resulting soup--still creamy and delicious but different and now dairy-free. My changes are in red below.


Creamy Potato and Smoked Salmon Soup

Adapted from "The Instant Cook" by Donna Hay
(Serves 4)

2 tsp vegetable oil (used olive oil)
1 leek, chopped (used 3 smallish leeks)
(2 celery ribs, chopped)
2 potatoes (900 g / 1 3/4 lb), peeled and chopped (used 6 small Yukon Gold potatoes)
4 cups (2 pints) chicken stock (used 5 cups of homemade chicken stock)
3 cups (24 fl oz) milk (used 1 (15oz) can lite coconut milk)
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped dill (used about 2 Tbsp total)
3 Tbsp lemon juice (also added the zest of 2 lemons)
150 g (5 oz) sliced smoked salmon, roughly chopped (used abut 6 oz)
sea salt and cracked black pepper

Place the oil, celery and leek in a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 4 minutes or until soft. Add the potatoes and stock, cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Place (1/3 to 1/2 half of) the mixture in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan, add the milk, dill and lemon juice and zest and heat until hot. Stir through the salmon, salt and pepper and serve.


Notes/Results: Yum! I liked the way this came together and it's a pretty quick and easy soup to make. It has a definite chowder vibe but is not too heavy, and the coconut milk adds a creaminess and flavor that works well with the tangy lemony and smoky salmon. I liked having the texture of the pieces of leek and celery and chunks of potato mixed in. With bread and a salad, a bowl of this soup makes a soul and stomach-satisfying lunch or dinner. I would make this again.




It's pretty quiet in the Souper Sunday kitchen this week but we do have Kait and Natashya and their respective delicious-looking soup and salad here.

The wonderful Kait from Pots and Plots made a spicy and hearty Mexicale Chicken and Rice Soup. She says, "This was a last minute inspiration after making a grocery run for ingredients for something else entirely. I had these two poblano peppers that I was going to turn into some kind of enchilada casserole, but then I decided to make another Mexican themed soup instead. The results were delicious and incredibly healthy, coming in at 445 calories and 1.6 grams of fat per hearty serving (makes 4)." This one has me drooling!


The salad category is represented beautifully by Natashya at Living in the Kitchen with Puppies, here with Mark Bittman's Middle-Eastern Tomato and Onion Salad, perfect for the upcoming grilling season. She says, "This is a simple summer salad, perfect for grill night. It would pair wonderfully with souvlaki-type skewers and indeed would be equally delicious piled up on a pita with the leftover sliced meat."

Thanks to Kait and Natashya for joining in this week and sharing such delicious dishes. If you have a soup, sandwich or salad that you would like to share, click on the Souper Sunday logo for all of the details.

Have a wonderful week!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I love smoked salmon and would never have thought to put it in a soup.
    Thanks for the round-up Deb! Love the changes you made to the soup - C would definitely love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious! I too would never have thought to use it in soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality not quantity! I've got a sandwich for you for next week, but I didn't get a chance to blog it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added coconut to this...I've been on a coconut milk fix myself. It goes so well with the salty and FANTASTIC smoked salmon. God I love that stuff.

    Yay for the round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What??? Just because the weather has warmed up we're all a bunch of soup slackards? :-)

    As always, love Souper Sunday and thanks for the roundup. I'll have to put a soup on the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks incredible. Your changes are very creative, but sound really healthy and tasty. I like chunks in my soup too.

    I've been too busy with work to blog much, but I have a wonderful curried asparagus soup I'd love to try soon. I'll try to whip some up for your next roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow love this soup what a wonderful idea smoked salmon in soup nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creation sounds delicious to me. You started me thinking though. I'm going to have to do some research comparing fat in cow's milk to that in coconut milk. The round up was, as usual, terrific. I hope all is well and you're having a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natasha--thanks and thanks for joining in.

    Kat--it adds a nice smoky touch.

    Foodycat--I'll look forward to see your sandwich. ;-)

    Joanne--thanks! it is a favorite ingredient of mine too. ;-)

    Lee Ann--mahalo! I'll look forward to it! ;-)

    Laurie--Mmm...Curried asparagus sounds delicious! ;-)

    Rebecca--thanks! It was tasty!

    Mary--I didn't actually use the lite coconut milk to reduce fat--just limiting my dairy for allergies and such. But coconut milk does have more fat than regular milk--it's closer to cream. ;-) It is considered by many to be a healthier fat though. I like the taste, texture and non-dairy aspects. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great idea to add the smoked salmon to the soup, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natasha--thanks--it was really tasty in the soup I thought. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am seriously in need of some of this right now :) This looks wonderful.


    Top One Way Links Building Service

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)