Saturday, November 6, 2010

Giada's Apple and Thyme Martinis--A "Simple Saturday Sipper" That's Perfect for Fall

It's apple season--time for apple pie, apple cider, apple crisp and even apple-centered cocktails like this Apple and Thyme Martini from Giada De Laurentiis. From "Giada's Kitchen." This is a simple drink that is the perfect Simple Saturday Sipper to celebrate fall.


Giada says, "In Seattle, where I first had a version of this drink, martinis come garnished with a sprig of Douglas fir. Thyme syrup contributes a similar herbaceous zing, and little balls of apple are a whimsical touch This is a great cocktail."


Apple and Thyme Martini
"Giada's Kitchen" by Giada de Laurentiis
(Makes 4 Servings)

Ice

10 oz vodka

6 oz apple juice

1/4 cup Thyme Simple Syrup (recipe follows)

1 large apple, peeled
4 fresh thyme sprigs


Chill 4 martini glasses in the freezer.


Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the vodka, apple juice, and thyme syrup and shake for about 10 seconds. Divide among the 4 chilled martini glasses.


Using a melon baller, scoop out small balls of apple. Place 3 balls of apple and 1 sprig of thyme in each glass for garnish. Serve immediately.

Thyme Simple Syrup

(Makes 1 Cup)
1 cup sugar

5 large fresh thyme sprigs


In a saucepan, combine the sugar, thyme, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat, and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and cool the syrup. Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.



Notes/Results:
Very tasty--potent, flavorful and not too sweet. The pairing of apple and thyme is delicious and perfect for fall. I used the lemon thyme from my herb garden because it grows more prolifically than my regular thyme. I used a Honeycrisp apple and fresh apple juice for the drink--which added a nice juicy tartness to it. I liked this cocktail a lot and will make it again.


Although I already linked a recipe for "Out of Italy" at I Heart Cooking Clubs (Giada's Asian Chicken Salad here) but I'm linking this Seattle-inspired cocktail one as an extra this week. You can check out what all the other IHCC participants made this week by going to the post here and following the links.

Happy Saturday!

14 comments:

  1. I vastly approve of your honeycrisp apple usage. Those are my favorites. And also of your martini-making tendencies. This sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna have to try this! I use a Kansas-made gin in my bar that would compliment the mixers really well. I might also try infusing the thyme into a honey syrup instead.

    Lots of possibilities; lots of flexibility in this recipe. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This martini sounds delicious. I too love Honeycrisp apples. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeycrisp apples are my all time favortie and this little martini is a wonderful way to showcase their flavor. Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And after i made That thyme syrup, i'm going to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you for this lovely recipe! I can't think of a more perfect cocktail for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you call it a "fall cocktail" are you referring to the season or the after affects if you have more than one? Either way it sounds great and looks so pretty with the little apple balls floating in it - gorgeous colour too.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lovely! Your cocktail glasses are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read this recipe today in one of Giada's cookbooks while looking for ideas for next week's them. I thought it sounded so good! I love the little balls of apples floating around in your cute martini glasses too! This recipe is perfect for fall and I was wondering if I can post it in your name on my seasonal linky?

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound wonderful! I love that you used honeycrisp apples! What a refreshing fall cocktail :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love that thyme syrup. Great autumn cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joanne--Honeycrisp are the best aren't they?!

    Beau--thank you!

    Nancy--thank you--I hope you enjoy it! ;-)

    Rebecka--thanks! Honeycrisp are my favorites too. ;-)

    Yvette--it's a good follow-up to the cough syrup! lol!

    Healthy Mama--hope you enjoy it!

    Sue--good point--it works either way I think! ;-)

    Foodycat--thank you! ;-)

    Roz--of course you can! Thanks for asking!

    Amy--Thanks! I love Honeycrisp---so good! ;-)

    Natashya--thank you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, little balls of fruit are just fun...no ifs ands or buts about it! This sounds pretty tasty...and I love your barware- adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)