Sunday, November 28, 2010

Brazilian Chicken Soup (Canja) for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays & Regional Recipes


Everything month when the country for the Regional Recipes event, hosted by my friend Joanne at Eats Well With Others is announced I have the same simple goals--I won't wait until the last minute to choose something to make and it won't be a soup. But come the end of the month, it happens--I am scrambling to make something and it is almost always soup. What can you do?!? Procrastination and soup are intertwined in my soul! ;-)


This month the country is Brazil and I am making a classic bowl of comfort: Brazilian Chicken Soup (or Canja as it is known in Portuguese). Basically it is a basic chicken and rice soup and something your Brazilian mom or grandma might make for you. This one comes from
"Soup's On!: Soul-Satisfying Recipes from Your Favorite Cookbook Authors and Chefs" by Leslie Jonath and Frankie Frankeny. A great book by the way if you love creative soups from chefs like Mark Bittman, Alice Waters, Charlie Trotter, and more.

"Soup's On" says, "This chicken soup or canja, as it is called in Portuguese, is the Brazilian grandmother's cure-all. This recipe, by cookbook author and historian Jessica Harris, is adapted from her book Tasting Brazil."


Brazilian Chicken Soup (Canja)
From "Soup's On!" by Leslie Jonath and Frankie Frankeny

(Serves 6)

half a 3- to 4-pound chicken
4 medium, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped (including 1 1/2 tablespoons leaves)
1 sprig fresh parsley, minced
3 large carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place the chicken, tomatoes, onion, celery, and parsley into a large stockpot. Add 2 quarts water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the broth is flavorful, about 1 hour. Remove the soup from the heat.

Remove the chicken from the stock and let it cool. When it is cool enough to handle, strip the meat from the bones. Set the meat aside and discard the bones and skin.

Put the cooking liquid and vegetables through a food mill (or you can use an immersion blender) to obtain a thick, rich chicken stock.

Return the stock to the pot, add the reserved chicken meat, carrots, rice, and 2 cups water to the pot. Place it on medium heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or a bit longer if you like mushy rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.


Notes/Results: Simple but good, sure to make you feel better if you are sick, sad or tired and it makes your kitchen smell like home when it is cooking. I had a good, thick and hearty homemade chicken stock already in my freezer, so I started with the final steps, adding some chopped rotisserie chicken breast and adding a little celery to the carrot and rice mix. This was the perfect light dinner on a breezy night--perfect for the after-Thanksgiving detox. I would make this again.


Joanne will be rounding up all the Brazilian fare on the Regional Recipes site after the first of the month.


Due to the busy Thanksgiving holiday week, we are a little slower in the Souper Sunday kitchen today (actually kind of a nice little holiday break for me), ;-) but we still have some very delicious soups and a hearty sandwich to share--let's take a look.

Lovely Roz at la bella vita kicks us off with her mother's version of the Italian classic Minestra di Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta and Bean Soup) and says, "My parents may not have enjoyed abundance when they were growing up as children of immigrants, but their mothers kept the kitchen aromas filling their homes, as pots of soups or pasta simmered slowly on the stove. My father said they had Pasta e Fagioli soup nearly every night for dinner when my grandfather was a coal miner in the Midwest. Nothing represents love and comfort as much as a simple, hearty warm soup and some bread to sop it up with! Although this soup was considered the food of the poor, one certainly is never hungry after one full bowl; it is that satisfying. Plus soup is so restorative to our health and our souls!"



Always creative Reeni at Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice came up with a new way to eat spaghetti squash with her Spaghetti Squash and Mini Meatball Soup with Roasted Red Peppers. Reeni says, "The broth is drenched with the flavor of aromatics including onion, garlic, roasted red and green bell peppers. It is the perfect backdrop for the tender little orbs of mini meatball deliciousness and the squash spaghetti which makes up the bulk of the soup by adding great body and texture. My father was quite impressed with the entire concept and summed things up best when he asked "Who else do you know that is making spaghetti squash and meatball soup?" A quick Google search turned up nothing, making it a truly unique original that I hope I've inspired you to try!"



A win by her favorite college team is the inspiration for girlichef to celebrate with her warming Spartan (Green & White) Chili. She says, "My boys are Big Ten Champs!! Go Spartans!! Okay, we're tied for first, but I'll take it. This chili is perfect for a game day. We warmed up with a bowl while tailgating...and refueled with a bowl during half time. There's nothing a little GREEN and WHITE can't fix. Not today, at least. Serve topped with any or all of the garnishes. Keeps well in a warm crockpot all day long. Tastes even better after sitting (in the refrigerator) overnight and then re-heated! Go Green! Go White!"



Kim at Liv Life puts her Thanksgiving leftovers to good use with this gorgeous bowl of goodness and says, "With many of us here in America cooking Turkey, leftovers are another thing to be thankful for! Garlicky Tortellini Soup is a perfect vehicle for some of your spare turkey, and a simple, satisfying meal to toss together when you may not really feel like cooking. Filled with ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry or freezer, this fragrant soup goes together in record time, and if you make enough, will provide its own leftovers for another day." Kim's beautiful soup photo made the FoodBuzz Top 9 yesterday--Congrats Kim!



Speaking of hearty and gorgeous soups, Nicole at Cocoa and Coriander made a warm-your-belly, Bacon Tomato Soup and says, "I have had a recipe for Roasted Tomato and Smoked Bacon Bisque bookmarked since it first showed up on my Google reader. I decided to try and make it tonight because of the fact that I have bacon in my refrigerator for once, but I needed a simpler recipe (mostly because fresh tomatoes are way too expensive when they aren't in season). The version I adapted from is creamy in consistency but lacks the dairy that would make it a bisque. It is really just a simple tomato soup, but the bacon adds a nice smoky, saltiness. Matt made a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches that we cut into 1 inch squares and served on top of the soup. Perfect!"



Along with our soups, we have a made-healthier, but not necessarily better Fish Po'Boy sandwich from Michelle at Ms. Enplace. She says, "Most seafood po'boys are loaded with fried seafood and fatty tartar sauce. Mmmm...fatty tartar sauce. And if I want to keep you thinkin that I'm some hot little number (ha! sucker!) I need to lay off all that and eat like a grown up. So I decided to be sensible and lighten them up. I did this some time ago, but other more seasonal things kept cutting in line. That gave me time to think about what I've done. And learn my lesson ...which is not to mess with a good thing. Is it wrong to want a po'boy just for the tartar sauce?"


A few fabulous soups and even a sammie too--thanks to Roz, Reeni, Heather, Kim, Nicole and Michelle for joining in this holiday week. If you have a soup, salad or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the side bar for all of the guidelines and details.

Have a great week!

15 comments:

  1. I still love ya, even when you procrastinate and always make soup!

    Some really great entries here. I'm loving those garnishes on the green and white chili.

    Thanks for the round up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious soups! what a great round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo fantastic! Now I'll have lots of (much needed!) ideas for cold weather meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely soup so sorry i forgot to email mine please consider using a linky lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I know that this was an extremely busy week for you to prepare for Thanksgiving AND put Souper Sunday together, so I just wanted to give you not only a thank you for hosting, but also a congratulations as well. I love each of these soup recipes! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Procrastination... I totally get it!!! That's why my submissions to you are always last minute. That is when I can get the day right! ;)
    Love the Brazilian Soup Deb, it looks so comforting and appealing.
    Funny, I've not really been a big soup fan in the past, but soups are really growing on me. Thanks again for putting this post together. I look forward to reading it every week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm! I think your soup is the perfect choice for Brazil...of course, I chose a soup, too...and I wasn't even procrastinating, LOL! Short but sweet this week...yum, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle--Thanks for loving me in spite of my faults!
    ;-) Thanks for joining in too.

    Kat--Mahalo!

    Kathy--We have them every Sunday! Come back again.
    ;-)

    Rebecca--Bummer! Sorry, I would do a linky but I like the small intimate feeling of the SS round-up too much and anyway figure people might forget to link up too. ;-)

    Roz--Thank you! It's a labor of love. I so enjoy seeing everyone's soup and other goodies and getting to comment on them in the round up. Thanks for joining in. ;-)

    Kim--I am all about last minute so no worries! I am happy you shared your soup with us this week and hope you keep on enjoying soup more and more.
    ;-)

    girlichef--I just feel bad because ALL of my RR entries are soup. Maybe I'll just give up and keep on going with it. ;-) Thanks for sharing your chili!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah! I'm sorry I should have totally emailed you earlier. I realized that if I was having trouble finding time to make my entry, then everyone else must be as well. The soup looks delicious though! I have a bit of a cold right now and I'm sure this would clear it right up! Great roundup. Short and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From one procrastinator to another, I love a double duty post and did one myself today! LOL. Oh boy...end of the month and a holiday weekend, it's a crazy combination. Love the Brazilian version of chicken soup, simple but warming.

    Running off to checkout everyone's soups....great roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my kind of soup! Simple and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel awful for not e-mailing you my soup! Thanks so much for including it anyway and I'm sorry for making you do the extra work to get it. I love the sound of your comforting chicken soup - I could use some right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful flavors in this Brazilian chicken soup, and a delicious roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your soup recipes look delicious! thanks so much for sharing them.
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)