Friday, June 12, 2009

Turkish Spice Rubbed Lamb Chops for Tyler Florence Fridays

I needed a quick and easy recipe for my Tyler Florence Fridays pick this week and one that would pair well with the Curried Couscous I posted yesterday for Barefoot Bloggers. With a house guest this week, I wanted to get these two events taken care of so that we weren't tied to certain meals and could do whatever we want. I stumbled across Tyler's recipe for Turkish Spice Mix, which is from How to Boil Water and the combination of spices sounded great. Tyler used the mix on a leg of lamb but I found some beautiful double lamb loin chops that I thought it would be perfect on for a simple dinner with a Middle Eastern flair. 


Turkish Spice Mix
Tyler Florence
(Makes 1/4 cup)

3 tablespoons allspice berries
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1-inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cloves

Combine the spices in a spice mill or clean coffee grinder and grind to a powder. Store in an air-tight container.

For Lamb Chops: (Serves 2-3)
Preheat oven to 400 F. Place Turkish Spice Rub on a plate. Take 6 double lamb loin chops and brush or spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dredge lamb chops in spice mix, lightly pressing mix into each chop and shake off any excess. Place on a baking sheet and bake until desired doneness (about 20 minutes for medium rare).


Notes/Results: Excellent! The mix is delicious and really compliments the lamb, (it would be good on beef as well). Baked, the lamb chops turned out tender and juicy and were the perfect pairing with yesterday's couscous. A keeper spice rub and a quick, simple dish for Tyler Florence Fridays. You can see what delicious recipes the other TFF members chose and what they thought of them by going to the TFF site, here.

18 comments:

  1. Those are some beautiful chops! What a great pairing with the couscous, you can make me dinner anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect pairing. I bet your guest was very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lamb chops look delicious. The couscous is a perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to multi-task! I love lamb chops but don't get to have them often enough since my parents hate them. Love turkish spices as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing meal...the flavors are crazy delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lamb chops - and what an interesting combination of spices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mix of spices. Not a lamb eater, but I agree that it would be wonderful on beef as well. Your chops are very photogenic:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That goes great with the couscous! Perfect pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a big lamb fan, but the spices sound heavenly! Happy TFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I actually make a really similar dish (couscous and all) thats phenomenal... awesome flavor combo. You're looks really gorg with the frenched lamb though. So fancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my...I think I may have to find some lovely lamb...I have some Israeli couscous...what a decadent idea! Thanks for sharing Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The spice rub sounds delicious - the lamb has a beautiful color to it! Enjoy your time with your guest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks gorgeous and SO flavorful! Lamb chops and couscous...PERFECT meal indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a great meal and those lamb chops look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty color to those chops! Sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tried this tonight - had a craving for a kebab - was ace :o)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)