Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Farm to Table: Slow Food Oahu North Shore Farms Tomato Patch Lunch

I recently joined Slow Food USA. If you are not familiar with the Slow Food movement, their website (here) says it best: "Slow Food is an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment. Slow Food USA seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in the food system. We reconnect Americans with the people, traditions, plants, animals, fertile soils and waters that produce our food. We inspire a transformation in food policy, production practices and market forces so that they ensure equity, sustainability and pleasure in the food we eat."

When you join the National Slow Food group, you can then connect with your local chapter, (there are over 200 chapters all over the US as well as many chapters all over the world), and take part in events in your area. My local chapter, Slow Food Oahu seems to be a very active one, especially since my friend Michelle, The Accidental Scientist, has become the Event Coordinator for the group and there are lots of interesting events planned for this summer. Although the events are open to non-members, being a member gets you a discount on the event cost and the dues support this worthwhile group. 


My first event as a member was one of those amazing and unique experiences that don't come along very often. As a fundraiser for Slow Food Oahu, Jeanne Vana, the owner of North Shore Farms, graciously opened her farm to us for a luncheon in the tomato patch featuring local and sustainable food with wine pairings and an opportunity to do a little U-pick of some of their items after the lunch. North Shore Farms is a boutique grower of specialty crops, such as tomatoes, flowers, heirloom beans, squash and other items. I am a weekly customer at the KCC Farmer's Market, where they offer their produce, as well as fabulous products made with their bounty, (like their homemade pizza by the slice). 


After a beautiful drive along the North Shore, to an area I had never been before, we ended up at their farm. They had set up tables and umbrellas right in the middle of the tomato patch so we had a gorgeous setting with the farm and the mountains behind. The tables were set up with bright cloths and an assortment of china. We brought our own chairs and drinking water, and everything else was provided.


The luncheon featured North Shore Farms products, as well as the best ingredients that the North Shore has to offer from other local purveyors, such as farm raised local Tilapia and North Shore Cattle Company Beef. In addition to the menu, some of the Slow Foods members made dishes using Jeanne's tomatoes and beans for everyone to try. It was basically a tasting menu with little portions of lots of things, and everything was served family style, off of big hand-painted platters. 

Our North Shore Regional Menu:

Pupus:
North Shore Tomato Sampler, Pickled Beans and Tomatoes, Tomato Preserves, (made by Debbie, one of the members), Mediterranean Pasta with Feta and Tomatoes, (Made by Kai using some of her own Kaiulani Spice mixes), Fresh Tomato Juice.



First Course
Chilled Roasted Tomato Bell Pepper Soup



Second Course
Fresh Mozzarella Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad, 


Grilled Waialua Fresh Water Tilapia with Kauai Sea Salt


Sauteed Chard with Bacon and Pickled Onions



Main Course 
North Shore Cattle Co. Steak, 


Grilled Waialua Vegetables, 


Heirloom Shell Beans Sampler (made by Gayle, one of the members).



Dessert
Green Tomato Pie with Macadamia Nut Ice-Cream  


Waialua Chocolate-Dipped Tomatoes


The food was delicious, the company great, and the setting unbelievable. It was a slightly cloudy and overcast day with a breeze, making the temperature perfect for an outdoor lunch. After lunch we got to U-pick beans and other items.



I gathered up some bright tomatoes and a small cantaloupe about the size of a grapefruit, (Jeanne is experimenting with growing smaller melons--perfect for me!),


Then I picked some borlotti (or cranberry) beans.


There were plenty more bean varieties and other things to pick, but it had been a long day for me already with an early breakfast, and a quick dash to Waikiki for some last minute souvenir shopping before dropping my friend Rene at the airport and jetting out to the lunch, so with a full tummy and heart, I was more than ready to head for home.


Talk about "Farm to Table", eating locally and knowing exactly where your food comes from! This was a fun and educational experience that made the delicious meal all the better by seeing and understanding the work and care that went into it. It was a perfect afternoon! 

(Unfortunately, my melon seemed to have a mini-cave in overnight and was not as firm and edible as I would have liked, but I will post what I make with the tomatoes and the beans.

Many thanks to Jeanne and her team at North Shore Farms and Michelle and Slow Food Oahu for an amazing afternoon. Check out the Slow Foods USA or the Slow Foods International links and see if there is a chapter in your area and what they have going on. 

12 comments:

  1. This is really, really awesome. I've always wanted to attend one of these type of meals. All of the food-amazing! That heirloom bean sampler looks so super. You live in a beautiful, beautiful place, Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to eat brunch in the middle of a tomato patch! What a gorgeous view. Everything looked so good - especially the green tomato pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. This is fantastic. How fortunate you are to be able to participate in such an event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous experience! So wonderful to be right on the ground with the food. I have never seen fresh beans like that, only the dried ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an exciting event! everything looked so delicious, and I like how you were able to pick some veggies before going home. what a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Slow Food !!!They are a great group ! I wish I could have come on that visit too !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing!

    I just received a flyer about a slow food meeting this week in my town. I was curious about it, and now that you've explained it to me, hopefully I'll be able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My god, words fail me. That pie looks like something from my pie dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read about the Slow Foods movement in Omnivore's Dilemma but didn't realize that they actually had events and such. I will certainly look into this! Your day seemed so lovely, from all the delicious food to getting something to take home at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW WOW WOW! Everything looks amazingly awesome! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. just stumbled across your blog. oh, my. lovely, lovely, Hawaii. my husband and i lived there for 3 years while we were in the army. we miss it so much! this post brought back so many wonderful memories. our favorite place is pupukea beach, and we miss the fruit stands up at the north shore -- fresh pineapple! thanks for sharing, much aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing! I wish I knew about this meal earlier! :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)