Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wild Mushroom Agnolotti with Creamy Mushroom-Tomato Sauce


I was lucky enough to be one of the bloggers and FoodBuzz Tastemakers who were sent a package of Buitoni's new line of Riserva Wild Mushroom Agnolotti from FoodBuzz. Agnolotti is similar to ravioli and is traditionally a 1" square shape, but they can also be smaller and rectangular or, as in this case, larger semicircles. Riserva Wild Mushroom Agnolotti is (according to the package), "a blend of earthy mushrooms, including sweet, rustic portobellos and delicate criminis, creates an impeccable pairing with fresh-roasted garlic and imported grana padano and parmesan cheeses, wrapped inside thin layers of stone-ground semolina pasta." Yep, just from the description alone, I was pretty sure I was going to like it. The challenge was to come up with a great sauce to top it with. 


I knew I wanted to work some mushrooms in, and of course some parmesan cheese and it needed some depth of flavor and a little acidity so I decided to add some white wine and sun-dried tomatoes. Finally I wanted something a little creamy and I have been experimenting with making creamy sauces using brown rice flour since making a cheese sauce that way. Putting it all together, I give you Wild Mushroom Agnolotti with Creamy Mushroom-Tomato Sauce.


Wild Mushroom Agnolotti with Creamy Mushroom-Tomato Sauce
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 2)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (I used crimini and oyster mushrooms
3/4 cup vegetable or mushroom broth
2 Tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), chopped finely
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped and separated
3 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated and separated
2 Tbsp white wine
1 Tbsp brown rice flour 
1/2 cup non-fat milk
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 package (9 oz) Buitoni Wild Mushroom Agnolotti

In a large skillet, cook the shallot  in the olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes, stirring. Add the broth and boil the mixture until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 Tbsp of the basil, 2 Tbsp of the cheese and the wine, simmer for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile place the brown rice flour in a small bowl and whisk in the milk until smooth. Add it to the saucepan and continue to simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes or until it is thickened and add salt and pepper to taste. (Yields about 2 cups of sauce).


While sauce is simmering, boil pasta according to package instructions and drain thoroughly. Place pasta on serving plate or serving bowl, top with sauce and garnish with the remaining parmesan and chopped basil.


Notes/Results: The sauce was creamy, good, and it complimented the pasta well. It was rich and decadent without any butter or cream, which I liked. The pasta cooked up nicely and has a great savory cheesy, mushroom taste. As good as it was with the sauce, I cooked up the remainder of the pasta the next day and this time topped it with a bit of olive oil, grated pecorino-romano cheese and black pepper and I liked it even better as more of the true taste of the pasta came out.


If the Wild Mushroom Agnolotti is an indication of the rest of the Riserva line (Chicken and Four Cheese Ravioli, Quattro Formaggi Agnolotti, and Braised Beef Sausage Ravioli), I would happily try the other flavors. It makes a nice quick to prepare, occasional indulgent meal and there is nothing wrong with that!

BTW--Don't forget to enter to win my giveaway this week of 5 Spices, 50 Dishes (you have until Wednesday). You can get all the details here.  

7 comments:

  1. Lovely! Seeing your pasta makes me hungry for it again...it is so delish! Your sauce looks so creamy and decadent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! This warms my pasta loving heart.
    ps, the word verification is "prizedeb", still think they are coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing this pasta everywhere in the blog world I know I have to try it soon. I love your sauce and thanks for the tip about brown rice flour. I am going to have to check out your cheese sauce as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, when pasta is that good, I like it simple. The simpler the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so tasty, I want to come to your place for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely, flavorful sauce. It looks so comforting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the two different ways of eating them look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)