Friday, May 22, 2009

Salmon Potato Hash for Tyler Florence Fridays


I am a sucker for a plate of really good hash with crispy potatoes. If I am going to splurge and be bad for brunch, I am always torn between the hash and Egg's Benedict if both are on the menu. So when I saw Tyler make this Salmon Potato Hash on the Tyler's Ultimate Mother's Day show, I knew I had to make it. With roasted salmon and potatoes, AND a poached egg and lemony Hollandaise sauce, it gives the best of my two breakfast favorites. Of course I did have to lighten it up just a bit or it wouldn't be me. I reduced the oil and substituted non-fat yogurt for the butter in the sauce. Of course Hollandaise purists will sniff, but I still got to have the lemony, thick goodness without all the fat. You can find the recipe at the Food Network site, here.


Salmon Potato Hash

Tyler's Ultimate, Tyler Florence
(Makes 4-6 Servings)

1 (2-pound) center-cut, skin-on, salmon fillet
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh dill, for garnish

Hash:
About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 russet potatoes, rinsed in water and cut into large dice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper

Egg:
Water
White vinegar
4 to 6 large organic farm fresh eggs

Lemony Hollandaise:
*3 egg yolks
1/2 lemon, zested
1 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons water
Pinch cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

For the Salmon:
Place the salmon on a large baking sheet skin-side down. Drizzle salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes until flaky. Transfer to a cutting board.

For the Hash:
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once heated add the potatoes and shallow-fry for about 8 minutes until evenly browned on all sides. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl.

Using 2 forks, flake the salmon, removing it in chunks from the skin, and fold into the potatoes.

Remove most of the oil, leaving only a couple of tablespoons. Place over medium heat and add the sliced onions, sliced peppers and garlic and allow to caramelize. Add the green onions, thyme leaves, paprika and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Add the potatoes back to the pan and stir to combine.


For the Eggs:
Place a large saute pan with high sides over medium heat and fill with a few inches of water. Heat until just below a simmer. Add a splash of white vinegar and using a wooden spoon, stir the water in 1 direction to create a small whirlpool. Crack the eggs and add, 1 at a time, to the spinning water. Allow to poach until desired doneness. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.

For the Hollandaise:
Put the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, water, salt and pepper, to taste, into a blender. Blend together and then slowly start pouring in the melted butter with the blender running. Stop the blender when all the butter has been incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Thin the Hollandaise with a little water, if it is too thick.

Place the salmon-potato hash on serving plates or serving platter and top with the eggs. Pour Hollandaise sauce over the eggs and garnish with or dill. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs
Due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.



Notes/Results: Yum, Yum, and Yum! This turned out very well and oh so good! I made about 2 servings worth with 3/4 pound of wild salmon. The salmon cooked up nicely, super moist and tender. The potatoes were nice and crispy, even with lightening the olive oil significantly. Tyler gives a good tip on the show that isn't really clear in the printed recipe; he rinses the potatoes really well in cold water so they cook up crisp--similar to making fries. Just make sure to drain and pat them dry before putting them in the oil. My eggs were perfectly cooked, with nice oozy yolks and the sauce, although not as decadent as regular Hollandaise sauce, worked well and the lemon really complemented the salmon hash. I used Tyler's sauce recipe, I just switched out a stick of melted butter for 1/2 cup of yogurt. I did use the raw egg yolks, but I buy local eggs at the farmer's market and I am pretty confident with the quality. The dish goes together easily and although there is a little effort and some timing involved in getting it all together, the delicious results are well worth it. This makes a great brunch or a light dinner and with less oil and no butter, it is a decently healthy option. (And it will impress your friends too!) Another great Tyler recipe, I am happy with the way this turned out and will make it again!


You can see what the other Tyler Florence Friday participants selected for this week and see what they thought by going to the TFF site here.

Have a great weekend!

19 comments:

  1. How wonderful - a gourmet breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so inviting. I really wish there were a plate of it in front of me.. you know, for real, not just on the screen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...Yum, yum and yum...this sounds soooo tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new one of Tyler's! I saw it on the FN website as well and bookmarked it. I like your ideas for lightening it - I will definitely use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...does this sound good!

    I love Hollandaise on anything, in fact just by the spoon is fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has the makings of a great holiday breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful, special breakfast/bruch dish. I could do a lot of damage as far as those potatoes are concerned. Love how you lightened this up a little - I bet it's not missing a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are feeling better. I've never had hash before, but I do like salmon, so maybe if I drop enough hints someone will make it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good! funny - i was actually going to make a hash this week too... didn't work out though because my meat was in the fridge too logn for my liking so I tossed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this on a recent episode and it looked really good. I love breakfast hash too. It looks very colorful and pretty. Thanks so much for including me in the roundup. I'm pretty sure I forgot to send the email. It's been a strange week around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I turned out a plate that looks like that, I'd be happy too! I'll bet this was one of those dishes where it really helped to see him make it on the show. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks so delicious. i love how you lightened up the hollandaise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fantastic! And would be an awesome breakfast for dinner type of meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a superb recipe for a brunch buffet! Thanks for sharing! I'll be giving it a lot of thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so wonderful - with or without the eggs and hollandaise!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)