Friday, April 17, 2009

Sweet Mango Chutney for Tyler Florence Fridays

I wanted to make a homemade chutney for yesterday's Barefoot Bloggers Savory Couer a la Creme and I remembered I had tagged this recipe from Tyler's Food 911 show on the Food Network site to make someday. No time like the present; a great way to multi-task with posts and the perfect pairing of my favorite Food Network stars Tyler and Ina. 


Sweet Mango Chutney

Food 911, Tyler Florence
(Makes 6-8 Servings)

2 tablespoons Ghee, recipe follows
1 medium onion, chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon tamarind paste or rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Curry Powder, recipe follows
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the mango, raisins, sugar, tamarind paste, and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low, and cook until everything is soft and the flavors have blended, about 30 minutes. Put the chutney into a bowl and allow it to cool before serving.



Ghee:
1 pound unsalted butter

Put the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Melt the butter slowly and make sure it does not sizzle or brown. Increase the heat and bring the butter to a boil. When the surface is covered with foam, stir gently and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting. Gently simmer, uncovered, and undisturbed for 45 minutes, until the milk solids in the bottom of the pan have turned golden brown and the butter on top is transparent. Strain the ghee through a sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth. The ghee should be perfectly clear and smell nutty; pour into a glass jar and seal tightly. Yield: 1 1/2 cups


Curry Powder (Garam Masala):

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
2 dried red chiles, broken in pieces, seeds discarded
2 tablespoons turmeric

Toast the coriander, cumin, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel, mustard, cloves, and the chiles in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat just until they smell fragrant, about 2 minutes. In a clean coffee grinder or spice mill, grind the toasted spices together to a fine powder. Add the turmeric and give it another quick buzz to combine. Use the curry powder immediately, or store in a sealed jar for up to 1 month. Yield: about 1/2 cup



Notes/Results: Delicious, sweet, savory and just a little spicy. Tyler's recipe is easy enough and you can make it even easier if you don't want to make your own ghee (clarified butter) or curry powder. For health reasons, I didn't do the butter (I have made ghee in the past and it is simple to make, it just takes a while), but I did make Tyler's curry powder (garam masala) blend. The kitchen always smells so good when you toast all the spices together! The recipe makes way more ghee and curry powder than you will need for the chutney, (I'll show you what I did with some of the extra curry powder and leftover chutney tomorrow). Since I didn't want to use the butter in my chutney, I used a bit of pineapple juice to saute my onions and ginger, less fat and more flavor. Chutney is great as a side dish/condiment with meats and curries and yummy on a burger or sandwich. This is a good, basic recipe that I would make again. 


You can see what the other TFF participants made this week and what they thought about their choices at the TFF  site here.

14 comments:

  1. This looks delicious....I love mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...and thanks for the garam masala recipe...been meaning to look for one! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mango chutney! What a great idea to saute in pineapple juice, I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango is my absolute favorite fruit! I can't wait to try this. Tyler is so useful sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your kitchen smelled wonderful. That sounds so good. Great substitution of the pineapple instead of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this is over the top delicious! So much better than store-bought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the aroma of toasting spices...mmmm! I toasted the fennel for spaghetti on Monday, then ground it...oh my! What flavor!! Thanks for sharing your chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy..pineapple juice for a saute! What a fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be so good with so many things. What a mix of fabulous flavors! Looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How inspiring and exotic! I usually buy Major Grey's Chutney, because that's what I grew up eating. But I love the idea of homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like spring, bright and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like how tyler has all these great little component recipes out there, like in dinner at my place, etc. now i can just make my own next time instead of driving 30 minutes to find mango chutney.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)